Felice Herrig takes issue with coming UFC mandatory uniform

UFC president Dana White recently said that UFC uniforms were coming, for both fighters and corners. Rumor has it - and it is just rumor - that Under Armor bought the extraordinary Roots of Fight, and the UA will be the official supplier of UFC uniforms.

Further rumor says that the uniform will include mandatory fight shorts, walkout shirt, and hat. Space on the gear will apparently be provided for fighter sponsors, and perhaps for UFC sponsors, and well as of course the UFC brand and the apparel brand.

Thus far the issue has raised far more questions than answers, most notably, what will fighters get paid for wearing branded apparel?

Newly signed UFC women's strawweight Felice Herrig expressed concern that she will no longer be able to don her choice of apparel, which has proven to be remarkably compelling, as can be seen below.

Via Instagram.

"I design and custom make all my weigh in and fight outfits," wrote Herrig. "So for me this is a very big deal and a very big part of my brand and image.

"A lot of fighters like myself get paid more money from sponsors and a lot is based on marketability and the style I bring to weigh ins and also the fights. Taking that away takes a lot away from what they are trying to do as far as getting people hooked to WMMA.

"It's called business and regardless of what some people might think there is a lot more to a fighters business than just the act of them playing their sport."

Herrig later expanded on the remarks, via Facebook:

Seems my Instagram comments/replies about the UFC uniforms is causing a bit of noise. Let me be clear about this. I just like my swag. I get what the UFC is trying to do and how a lot of fighters in today's market could and would benefit from it because sponsorship dollars are just down a lot!

Also it would ensure that incidents like "the Cody McKenzie shorts debacle" wouldn't happen again. That was a disaster and I understand why the UFC wants to set a higher standard.

But not all of us would benefit form this and for the ones that do take pride in their individuality it does sound like it will stink. I like my individuality and take a lot of pride in creating my fight themes and outfits... It's kind of therapy for me leading up to a fight, and I have developed it over the years. I think it has helped me create my own look and personal brand so to speak.

So while I am personally not excited about the thought of a "uniform", I don't want to jump to conclusions before details are out. I am hopeful that the UFC recognizes some of these concerns and are doing what they can to try make this work for everybody. Please don't go on a witch hunt to my employer because regardless of this I am very thankful for the big picture and the opportunities that Zuffa and the UFC have and will give me.

Herrig's very reasonable concerns aside, there is every expectation that she not fail to find creative ways to further her sponsors, regardless of what final decisions the UFC makes about uniforms.

Follow Felice on Twitter...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Felice Herrig (detail)

Koga site profile image

4/19/15 11:50 PM by Koga

Couple of more fights like that where she spends more time on social media trash talking her opponent than she does training and she won't have to worry about the UFC uniform policy.

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much site profile image

4/19/15 7:45 PM by If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much

You missed what he was saying.She can still get an apparel deal with any company and they will allow her creativity, they all do.

MMA Playwright site profile image

4/19/15 6:46 PM by MMA Playwright

Uniforms?

Yussarian site profile image

2/20/14 3:03 PM by Yussarian

So Under Armor will allow Nike endorsements on the same item? I find that hard to believe.

Happiness Bunny site profile image

2/20/14 2:05 PM by Happiness Bunny

Jim, I said that I think that losing sponsorship money is lame.BigEyedFish. How many maidens have you rescued with your keyboard today? Disliking the actions of an individual woman does not mean I have a hatred for all women. She is a big girl and does not need another internet white knight slaying internet dragons. She has too many as it is.As a matter of fact I did search for 10 mins (twice the time you suggested was sufficient) into her career just now. But a simple name search of her brings up more about outfits, twitter fights, image/sexuality compared to information strictly about training or early career. I never said she is a shitty fighter or anything like that. I respect anyone who has the balls or ovaries to compete in combat sports. My opinion is that as a fighter you should concentrate on fighting.Fish, you need to relax. Take a rest, guy. =]

BigEyedFish site profile image

2/20/14 11:17 AM by BigEyedFish

If you spend 5 minutes looking into her career rather than just being ignorant with stupid comments from behind your keyboard, you will see that Felice is one of the hardest working fighters in all of MMA.  Redirect your hatred for women elsewhere, or bring more to the table and women might actually want to talk to you.  Loser. (directed at HB)

jimbonice site profile image

2/20/14 11:08 AM by jimbonice

The fighters make their income off sponsors. What a derp.

Don_Dada site profile image

2/20/14 10:19 AM by Don_Dada

Zuffa got the fighters by the balls as usual. It would be fucking hilarious to see if this actually got implemented. Little matching outfits haha imagine Golden Boy or whatever started making their guys all wear matching outfits? no you can't, because they wouldn't, because it's fucking dumb and demeaning.    This isn't TUF Dana.

time traveling 12er site profile image

2/20/14 10:07 AM by time traveling 12er

She's missing out on the real opportunity.  If she get's big and marketable enough she can get a sponsorship with adidas/ua/nike and get custom gear.  It's not like this company is going to ignore additional marketing opportunities in favor of uniformity.  In other sports it's the leagues that enforce the uniformity, apparell companies try to change things up every chance they get and they always have to get league approval first.  The clothing company isn't going to try to stifle creativity and individuality.  If that happens it's going to come from the Zuffa side, and it really doesn't make sense to limit their options like that.

muaythai1622 site profile image

2/20/14 9:17 AM by muaythai1622

its a bad idea all around. MMA is an solo sport and this is removing any individuality.