Cyborg drops to 135, plans to retire Rousey

“In reference to Ronda’s statement that I am looking for a payday so that I can retire, you’re right, I am looking for a payday to retire you like I did Gina Carano. But to show it’s not only about money, I challenge you to a fight – winner takes all.  Or better yet let’s fight for FREE. ANYTIME! ANYWHERE! Ask your daddy Dana to make it happen.

My English is not that great, so sorry if I was misunderstood. I didn’t literally mean I would die if I made 135. What I meant was that my doctor recommended that I did not fight the rest of my career at 135, which is what the UFC wanted.

You have fought 154 in the Olympics and 145 in MMA. You can meet me at 140 easier than for me to go down to 135. The only reason you want the fight at 135 is because you feel that is your only chance because you hope the weight cut will affect me. You guys say I’m irrelevant, yet watch my highlights. The true MMA fans not only know me, but know I’m the best. Sad that you give the true MMA fans no recognition by saying that they don’t matter.
 I’m currently training to fight at 145 on March 28 and in early May. My team has hired a medical doctor to help me make 135. I plan to challenge and win the Invicta 135 Championship in the summer and challenge you, champion to champion, for your 135 belt in December.

Now I know critics will say “I thought you said you would die if you made 135.” All I’m promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctor’s advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasn’t luck. You can even have me tested every week up to the fight. That way you will not have an excuse after I kick your ass.”

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

stonepony site profile image

2/25/14 4:51 AM by stonepony

Yeah, if cyborg were a legit threat, they would give her one fight at 135lbs against a top contender in the UFC.But they won't, it will be a can somewhere else. Because they know the chances are good that someone like Tate or Zingano beats her, and spoils everything.No point buying a paper tiger for promotional reasons when you're just going to piss on it and rip it up before the big pay day.

CapnKindBud site profile image

2/25/14 4:32 AM by CapnKindBud

Half of you want her to fight Cyborg on roids ! Wtf?

Musashi site profile image

2/25/14 1:30 AM by Musashi

Random blood testing throughout her camp... Fight at 135lbs elsewhere first.. Then let her come and challenge the champion.Ronda is going to finish that dangling-clit-having cheat.

TheAlchemist site profile image

2/24/14 5:26 PM by TheAlchemist

...Especially at 135lbs. But let's see it. Make it happen BLAF!

2JupitersTooMany site profile image

2/24/14 3:40 PM by 2JupitersTooMany

I think Ronda will murder Cyborg at this point.  I think they are probably on different trajectories.

MrHughes1991 site profile image

2/24/14 2:24 PM by MrHughes1991

Didn't the UFC try to make this happen and Cyborg turned it down? Now she's trying to come back and it's all the UFC's fault? Some weird shit going on

Soup and Beer site profile image

2/23/14 10:58 PM by Soup and Beer

There's really no sense in talking to the diehard Cyborg fans.  They are irrational.  The UFC isn't going to cater to Cyborg winning the belt then leaving anymore than they were willing to build a stadium in Russia to sign Fedor.

SQUEEZIE site profile image

2/23/14 10:10 PM by SQUEEZIE

fuck all that, thats a lame excuse. they could have a tourney if cris leaves or have ronda fight cat,davis,eye,sara etc. ronda might leave herself after a few more fights so who gives a fuck about that anyway. plus they would make enough money 2 fights twice in a row that would equal 4 ronda fights not against cris. plus if rondas going to lose to anyone and get a pass its def cris(weight class higher,longer in game,steroids). she could still be very marketable after that loss. way better than losing to davis or cat...and what if ronda wins! she will become a goddess and make even more money for her and the ufc. if cris could make 135 and looks gd she is obviously the best contender...all i heard dana say for years is that the bottom line is they put on the fights fans want to see and the best fights with the best fighters in the world.so bottom line this fight meets all that criteria and then some. in the long run who knows if the ufc would have profited more or less w/ out having this fight. but we all know if cris could make the weight it would be an injustice to all who love mma to not have this fight.(assuming ronda keeps winning and cris destroys a contender at 135)

SQUEEZIE site profile image

2/23/14 9:39 PM by SQUEEZIE

and it would happen at least twice i think. back to back huge...i repeat, huge pay days for everyone involved.

RRKore site profile image

2/23/14 9:17 PM by RRKore

"Cyborg loses to RR, with or without..."YOU seem to be sure of this. Is Ronda? Is Dana? Actions speak louder than words, so we'll see, it seems to me.I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Ronda would have Cyborg's number but I KNOW this is the most interesting WMMA fight out there.It's reminiscent of us fans not getting a chance to see Fedor in his prime fight the top UFC fighters in their primes. -- If you love the sport of MMA you have to be disappointed when business considerations take precedence over seeing the best fighting the best.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!