MacDonald: Avocado almost made me miss UFC 170

Rory MacDonald over came a tough first round versus Demian Maia to earn a decision victory at UFC 170, but it was a battle with an avocado that almost caused him to withdraw from the fight:

He said he nearly had to pull out of the fight when he cut himself while trying to slice the famous green fruit.

“I stabbed myself. It was pretty embarrassing,” MacDonald said at the post-event news conference following his win at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. “I couldn’t believe it. I thought I was going to have to pull out of the fight because you could easily hit a tendon. I went to the emergency room, got stitched up, got checked out. Everything’s fine and intact. It went in really far. But it got stitched up, I fought, and everything’s cool.”

MacDonald later posted this picture to Instagram:

Bad Boy Strike Shorts

Bad Boy Strike Shorts

Bad Boy Carbon Rashguard Shortsleeve

Bad Boy Carbon Rashguard Shortsleeve

MDubz site profile image

2/24/14 3:12 PM by MDubz

He posted a picture if the whole thing on twitter lol

sacredhate site profile image

2/24/14 2:59 PM by sacredhate

how the fuck?I eat a a lot of avocado and, well, you almost have to try to hurt yourself i think.

Uchi site profile image

2/24/14 2:54 PM by Uchi

All the avocado pitting critiques are cracking me up.Have a good friend who did the exact same thing to her hand and its amazing to me how many people seem to do this.

Nicholas Kage site profile image

2/24/14 2:36 PM by Nicholas Kage

Avocado via doctor stoppage

MagSlim site profile image

2/24/14 2:25 PM by MagSlim

Posts blood, a knife axe murdering an avacado and a death stare face on Instagram.Wonders why people think he's a little creepy.

Osbot site profile image

2/24/14 2:01 PM by Osbot

You must have issues.The proper way to half fruit with a pit is to cut into the fruit with the blade pushed up to the pit, and then to use your hand to ROTATE the fruit until you halve it. This works for fruit without a pit as well.Why was Rory going shining on that avacado I mean who the fuck impales their fruit to halve it.God damned newbies!

GenericAmerican site profile image

2/24/14 1:24 PM by GenericAmerican

Here is an educational video on the proper avocado technique. He was attempting this, but with the point of a small knife, which was his downfall.http://youtu.be/OiffKal7Iho

Bann site profile image

2/24/14 1:17 PM by Bann

Stitches for that? Rushed to the ER? Who holds and stabs an avocado like that?This is one brave courageous man. He is a hero!

Glovegate site profile image

2/24/14 1:00 PM by Glovegate

Nobody "needs" an avocado that big. BAN ASSAULT AVOCADOS!

GenericAmerican site profile image

2/24/14 12:49 PM by GenericAmerican

I did this once. I was using the same kind of small knife, tried to lightly stab the pit/seed to pluck it out, but the seed had a hollow gap in the middle, so the knife went right through with no resistance.It's a good avocado technique, you just need to use a bigger knife and hit the seed with the flat part of the knife, not the point.

MMA clothing and gear