Arianny: Rousey not a good role model

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is famous, even notorious, for speaking her mind. In 2012 Rousey was interviewed by Jeff Sherwood, and blasted Cris Cyborg ("a detriment to women's MMA"), the Olympics ("didn't give a damn about me after I was done"), and Octagon girls ("There's a reason why the ring girls aren't asked to star in movies, and it's because they're pretty but talentless") among others.

In a Maxim interview that same year, Rousey was asked if there was anyone higher than her in Maxim's Hot 100 that she felt did not deserve it.

"It would have been really funny if I’d beaten Arianny Celeste," replied Rousey. "Because that would be like a triathlete coming along and beating the runners in a marathon. Like, 'Ha-ha, it’s your job to show your titties—I do that better than you!' Maybe next year. She’s only getting older, and I’m reaching my prime."

In an MMAJunkie radio interview on Saturday, Celeste finally responded.

“I don’t really like the way she carries herself,” said Celeste, as transcribed by MMAFighting. “I don’t think she’s a good role model for women. I think that women should empower each other and give each other a little pat on the back.”

“I’ve personally been talked about by her, and I don’t even know her. I’ve met her twice. She said a couple things in her Maxim interview. A lot of people pointed it out to me, but I didn’t really acknowledge it.”

“She’s paving the way for women’s MMA, and I’ve made being a UFC Octagon Girl into a career. She should definitely recognize that and be nice."

Celeste later addressed the initial feedback, via Twitter.

"I have the right to express my opinion about someone, especially after they have publicly attacked and offended me!!" she wrote. "First time I talked about this matter. And I really don't care what anyone thinks. I have been BLESSED to build my Career as being a ufc octagon girl. NOW for All u negative can watch me on tv, hosting Overhaulin on velocitytv and discovery march 23 new season starts! Thankyou"

While Celeste's comments provide an opportunity for the mean spirited to be mean, the simple fact is that Rousey without provocation directed some unkind remarks at Celeste, who eventually replied.

tags: UFC   Arianny Celeste   Ronda Rousey (detail)

Swooper site profile image

2/25/14 10:18 PM by Swooper

Geez, you must cry yourself to sleep over this. Change your SN to Vadgzilla...fairy.

HAWKZILLA site profile image

2/25/14 7:41 PM by HAWKZILLA

stand your ground and bully right back?^cuz that's what you saidas hat are you talking about she refused the belt I watched wet walk out and get handed a belt having never fought in the org.she is just classless it's painful to watch her try to act all tough when everyone just wants her to be respectful.In a sport that requires so much discipline she has been given every shortcut and her attitude is a slap in the face of others who have sacrificed to get there.Dana white can't be objective about her he's a fan before he is her boss and it's GLARING.she is Brock 2.0. and she will fall just like he did

JerodR site profile image

2/25/14 7:16 PM by JerodR

If I only watched movies from actors that were good role models with great attitudes then I would never watch a movie.. If you go out of your way to not see a major film because Ronda is in it then you are a hypocrite because I doubt you do that for any other movie. If you do then you either know nothing about most actors, or haven't seen many movies because of it. I'm sure Ronda cares about her family, and her friends but I would not expect her to base her decisions and attitude off of some random people on the internet.

Nagaho site profile image

2/25/14 3:28 PM by Nagaho

BackOffWarchild site profile image

2/25/14 3:28 PM by BackOffWarchild

Ronda HAS earned everything she's got in the past few years. Her talent and dedication have earned her the UFC title, movie roles, and a high income. Her disrespectful attitude and downright childish behavior have earned her the dislike of a huge portion of MMA fans. Ronda made a decision, dude. Honestly, it seems she's happy with where she's at, so if the fact that many of us won't purchase her PPVs and will absolutely avoid her movies is okay with her, then good for Ronda. If Ronda feels sour about fight fans' opinion of her, she's needs to only look in the mirror to find out why.I actually don't think she gives a shit.

Wasa-B site profile image

2/25/14 3:16 PM by Wasa-B

9 pages and counting.

YouCantHandleMyRiddum site profile image

2/25/14 2:56 PM by YouCantHandleMyRiddum

Ronda's attack was vicious. She pretty much shat on the girl's entire existance.

Madrugadao site profile image

2/25/14 2:17 PM by Madrugadao

How many bitches arms just she have to snap before you feel she has earned everything she has?

JerodR site profile image

2/25/14 1:55 PM by JerodR

Its not ok to stick up for yourself? Interesting... Difference of opinion I suppose. Personally I don't like or believe in bullies, but I do believe it sticking up for yourself and the ones you love above all else. Ronda seems to do just that. Yes, there was Carano and Cyborg and what happened when they left? Carano left to do movies and never returned. Cyborg got popped and now the only time she makes headlines is when she speaks Rousey's name. They were the mainstream pioneers that sparked everything IMO, however Ronda and the UFC have taken it to the next level. Ronda if you remember refused the UFC Championship because she wanted to EARN IT. That was well documented and stated over and over by Ronda so you can't fault her. In addition to that she obviously did earn it because she won the Strikeforce Title, then won the UFC title and has defended it over, and over again. Actually I think Faber has been given more than anyone.. lol

HAWKZILLA site profile image

2/25/14 1:32 PM by HAWKZILLA

-Its ok to disrespect your opponent when they disrespect you.-Its ok to stick up for yourself and bully right back instead of cave in and take it.^ neither of those are ok and before Ronda was Carano and cyborgRonda was literally HANDED the UFC championship, it was given to her.She had been given more in mma than anyone in history. terrible attitude