NSAC: We would really have to look at licensing Cris Cyborg at 135

Just over a year ago, Cris Cyborg's manager, UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz, held an incoherent press conference, during which he spoke at length, at one point confusing the name of his client with that of UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey. Later Cyborg stripped off her sweat shirt to reveal a tee reading "Ronda will be my b----" and then weighed herself, declaring that the scale said 160. Ortiz then thanked the UFC for complying with his request that Cyborg be released from her contract, so the former Strikeforce Women's Featherweight Champion could sign with Invicta, and fight in a higher weight division than the UFC has.

Ortiz repeatedly said that Cyborg could not make 135.

"I want to make sure as a manager to make the right decision for my fighters' future, health wise," said her then manager. "I don't want her dying because of cutting too much weight, we've seen that happen before in college wrestling. I want to make sure that doesn't happen under the UFC, someone under my wing, under my name, I don't want that to happen."

Ortiz also told MMAWeekly that her cardiologist said a drop to 135 could leave her infertile.

Since then Cris fought twice for Invicta, capturing their featherweight title.

On Friday, Justino released a statement to the media saying she planned to drop to 135, and retire Rousey.

“I am looking for a payday to retire you like I did Gina Carano," said Justino. "But to show it’s not only about money, I challenge you to a fight – winner takes all.  Or better yet let’s fight for FREE. ANYTIME! ANYWHERE! Ask your daddy Dana to make it happen."

"Now I know critics will say 'I thought you said you would die if you made 135.' All I’m promising is that I will give 100 percent to try to get to 135 to make this plan happen. If I do, I will still listen to my doctor’s advice and fight no more than three times at 135: first to win the Invicta belt, the second time to kick your ass and the third time to kick your ass again so that the world can see it wasn’t luck."

Last week Ortiz said he was stepping down as her manager, saying that personal differences with White were limiting his client's options.

However, the mismanagement of Cris Justino continues. Why would the UFC be eager to sign a fighter for a title shot when the fighter says he or she has no plans to stay at that weight, and can't?

Further, lost in the almost entirely uninformed discussion about whether the UFC will sign Justino/is afraid  of Justino/Rousey is afraid of Justino, etc is whether Cris Justino can even be licensed to fight at 135 at all.

The repeated references to the potentially fatal dangers of cutting to 135 were not missed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"That's extremely relevant, it's an admission by the fighter," said NSAC Chair Francisco Aguilar to ESPN. "If she made that comment, she had reasons for making it.

"If the UFC wanted that fight in Las Vegas, the commission would review her application and decide whether or not to approve that bout at 135 pounds. This is one of those situations we'd really have to look at."

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Cris Cyborg   Cris Justino

stonepony site profile image

2/26/14 11:42 PM by stonepony

She cheats to keep her weight artificially high, to stay in a weak division.Try thinking. It will only hurt the first time...

BuckyGoldstein site profile image

2/26/14 11:39 PM by BuckyGoldstein

thisplus I'm sure that if Cyborg had no problem making the weight, that fight would be a reality by now.

stonepony site profile image

2/26/14 11:36 PM by stonepony

You're right. She would not be effective without the huge advantage in muscle mass. She's all horse meat.Fighting as a female, RR kicks her teeth in.

banco site profile image

2/26/14 11:31 PM by banco

Not really suprised that the commission would put roadblocks up with regards to Cyborg given their main customer doesn't want her fighting at 135.

ShanTheMan site profile image

2/26/14 11:28 PM by ShanTheMan

If Fallon Fox can fight, let this dude fight too.

lolll site profile image

2/26/14 11:26 PM by lolll

lol clearly uve never done any sort of muscle weight management. for her to get to 35 and still be an effective fighter will not be easy at all. theres a difference between getting to a weight and actually being useful at that weight and a lot of people on here do not seem to realize that. from whats been shown of her she does not seem to be the type of fighter to get out of shape when not preparing for a fight so if she 160 with low body fat the only effective way is to lose muscle as some have said earlier but losing muscle in the right way and making sure ur managing where this muscle is being lost from is an issue and then adapting the way she fights and just her mental state to prepare her for this loss of muscle are all issues which are not easy to overcome. you can look throughout boxing and mma history to see when going down a weight class doesnt work out for fighters even though on paper it seems like a smart move.

RyannVonDoom site profile image

2/26/14 9:16 PM by RyannVonDoom

Ronda started the shit talking when she fought at 145 then dropped to 135, dolt.

MisterHawkeMMA site profile image

2/26/14 9:09 PM by MisterHawkeMMA

I'm sorry, but Cyborg could make the weight easily. The only issue is that she wants to keep the muscle, because she doesn't have the technique to be a top fighter. Cool. A physical advantage is just as good as a technical one in my book. But if you're not going to make the weight, then stop calling out smaller fighters.If Brock Lesnar called out Jon Jones we would all be laughing at him.

Biggy site profile image

2/26/14 5:27 PM by Biggy

did the AC look into whether it was safe for Cormier to cut to 205 considering it DID cause him health problems? as compared to Cyborg who made a verbal admission of a possibility.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

2/26/14 5:22 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Dolce works with Ronda, so he's not an option for cyborg.