Nate Diaz requests release from UFC contract

Today UFC lightweight Nate Diaz dropped a bomb on Twitter, requesting his release from the UFC:

@NateDiaz209: @ufc @danawhite I would like to request to be released from the @ufc Its time for me to be on my way .. ?

read official Twitter...

The move was somewhat unexpected, but Diaz likely may have inside information as to what teammate Gilbert Melendez received in an offer from Bellator, to which the UFC matched. The money is likely considerably more than Diaz is making and he might just be trying to play hardball to get himself more money.

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

Metal Mulisha Westsider Shirt

Metal Mulisha Westsider Shirt

tags: Nate Diaz (detail)

fullguard site profile image

2/28/14 7:33 AM by fullguard

Nick in his ear

UGCTT_CloudStrife site profile image

2/28/14 6:32 AM by UGCTT_CloudStrife

There is none, but 1 person says it and if it helps prove their point they take it as fact and pass it off they way to try and jusitfy what they are saying.

6MonthsKickCheckTraining site profile image

2/28/14 4:34 AM by 6MonthsKickCheckTraining

That's the point of a contract. Think of it in a business sense. In the business world people sign non disclosure agreements and compete clauses so they can't just move to a competitor at any point. Yet, the company reserves the right to fire them at any point if they are not doing their job. Furthermore, I just don't see how people are saying ufc is cutting pay mid contract.... They can't. That's the whole point of a contract. They can try to get you to renegotiate at a lower cost for an extended contract but they can't force you to take it. Is there any proof of this happening?

titoc123 site profile image

2/27/14 5:36 PM by titoc123

To me Nate is awesome, decent draw and a warrior and def should be paid more.But what kills me is just as in any sport, you signed a contract, play it out and then renegotiate after you become a free agent. Gil did it right, Nate is getting bad advise and doing it wrong!That hold out shit worked for Revis but he is #1 at his field. It can't work for Nate with his recent record.

D241 site profile image

2/27/14 4:41 PM by D241

Sorry, I did a search for RJJH in threads he's posted in with UFC as the title, either that wasn't in the title or the search function limit was maxed in terms of threads found.   I know for a fact he went though, he posted pics and talked about a fight in the crowd. Said it was more entertaining than the event lol.

AceAtGSU site profile image

2/27/14 4:20 PM by AceAtGSU

I remember reading this thread yesterday when it first popped up. I was thinking they would have released a statement at least by now.Maybe they are renegotiating, or just biding their time. Nate doesn't draw on his own no matter how exciting he is. He will likely never be UFC champion. Not sure what the number is they would offer him. Maybe 50-50 or 75-75 max?In any case it wouldn't be terrible to see him in WSOF or Bellator from my point of view.

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap site profile image

2/27/14 4:19 PM by IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap

No, the function doesn't work. So I'll say in all I want and not get banned for it

banging site profile image

2/27/14 4:09 PM by banging

Exactly - lol at anyone calling Nate unprofessional. Apparently Twitter is a legit contract negotiating tool for Dana.

banging site profile image

2/27/14 4:06 PM by banging

Dana has said he wouldn't force anyone to fight for him if they didn't want to stay in the UFC - like BJorn did to Eddie.

UGCTT_CloudStrife site profile image

2/27/14 3:59 PM by UGCTT_CloudStrife

There is a sub button for the droid with the last update. I have yet to have it work though. I believe it is a known problem with the dev team though so maybe in a few years it will work

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!