Hathaway overcoming Crohn's, reaches main event

England's John Hathaway, 26, fights Dong Hyun Kim on Saturday, in the main event of UFN Macao: Kim vs. Hathaway, airing on FIghtPass. Hathaway entered the UFC in 2009, going 4-0 with wins over Tom Egan, Rick Story, Paul Taylor, and Diego Sanchez. The he unexpectedly lost to Mike Pyle, and began to suffer mysterious symptoms, including lethargy and intense stomach pain.

He was only able to fight once per year thereafter. The cause? Crohn's Disease.

Kevin Iole has the story for Yahoo Sports.

Common symptoms are persistent diarrhea, rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, fever, weight loss, loss of appetite and general malaise.

He's had to change his diet in order to get back to fighting shape. He's removed processed foods entirely from his diet, and is eating more bland food, and has taken to juicing.

There is no cure, though Hathaway said he feels energized and ready to regain his momentum.

A win over Kim would be significant and put him in position to move into the top 15 in the UFC's welterweight division. Hathaway is not currently ranked in the top 15, but that's largely a function of his inactivity.

"I need a good work rate and to stay away from his clinches and not allow him to get on top," Hathaway said of Kim. "He drowns you when he's on top. I either have to be on top or I have to keep my distance and use my left-right and wear him down. That's what I think will get me my victory."

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

gtownhoya site profile image

2/28/14 12:56 PM by gtownhoya

Nobody really knows, although the latest thinking is that it's a combination of the two. Crohn's and colitis are particularly cruel diseases in that they impact the digestive tract and result in symptoms that folks would prefer to not talk about, they often manifest in one's teens or as a young adult when things are typically a bit awkward to begin with, and up until recently the medical community has done a shitty (pardon the pun) job diagnosing and treating the diseases.

BigDave88 site profile image

2/28/14 6:24 AM by BigDave88

Ive got ulcerative colitis, it absolutely sucks. The weight cut for my last fight put me down for a cpl weeks. ..I rehydrated with Pedialyte and it sent me into a bad flare up. ..

Lanceness021 site profile image

2/28/14 5:49 AM by Lanceness021

So many people here have Crohns. Is it genetic or are there lifestyle factors

onandon site profile image

2/28/14 5:28 AM by onandon

My ex had crohns, that shit will straight up DESTROY you if you don't keep it in check. Congrats to guy for being able to keep on fighting, true champ!

ImTheSandMan site profile image

2/27/14 6:54 PM by ImTheSandMan

My friend has chrons and I have been dealing with a anal fissure for the past 4 months and I read that if you have chrons you have a 50% chance of getting a anal fissure.Let me tell all of you with Chrons, watch your diet eat a lot of fiber dont push let the chocolate ice cream flow.This has been a huge problem for me some days I can barley walk and there is no escaping the pain. I have had some bad surgery's in the past but this is the worst pain I have dealt with.So for the TMI but this thread seemed appropriate.

dominating_fashion site profile image

2/27/14 6:47 PM by dominating_fashion

I have chron's too. Inspiring to hear John has reached this level of athletic competition in spite of it. Fuck chron's. War John Hathaway.

Kentpaul site profile image

2/27/14 6:34 PM by Kentpaul

They use Hookworms as well

Lanceness021 site profile image

2/27/14 5:59 PM by Lanceness021

He's a HUGE WW, I wonder if the cut contributed to him developing the illness. Best of luck to him, one of the least obnoxious Brits.

whitejoe site profile image

2/27/14 5:33 PM by whitejoe

If you suffer from uncontrolled crohns, you should google hgh and crohns disease sometime.

Horace.P.McTitties site profile image