Matt Hughes: I don't think GSP wants another beating from Hendricks

Former UFC welterweight champion, UFC Hall of Famer, and current UFC Vice President of Athletic Development and Government Relations Matt Hughes told Canada's GSP-came-back/" target="_blank">SportsNet that he doesn't think former UFC welterweight champion and future Hall of Famer Georges St-Pierre will ever fight in the Octagon again.

"People have been catching Georges a little bit, and I'm talking the past three or four years," said Hughes as transcribed by MMA Fighting. "People have been catching up to him, to his abilities. He's at the age where he's going to start slowing down just a little bit.

"Georges has made a lot of money. Gosh, what's he got to prove? What's he want to do? I wasn't real surprised. I would probably be a little more surprised if he ever came back. I don't think he wants to go in there and face Johny Hendricks again. Judging wise, it could have been close. Even though I did have Johny winning, the first round was extremely close. On the ground, Johny Hendricks won. He beat GSP up. In the rounds Georges won, he barely won. So I don't think he wants to go back in and take another beating like that against Johny Hendricks."

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

JunkieDog site profile image

3/1/14 11:12 PM by JunkieDog

Oh, look.... I found one of those weirdos who think all the chicken, pork and beef he buys at the grocery store comes from animals that die of natural causes. Like there are these thousand acre pastures filled with very old pigs, chickens and cows just milling around all day, waiting to die of old age so the farmers can slaughter them.

Entreri site profile image

3/1/14 8:44 PM by Entreri

If he does win against Lawler, he is going down to the likes of Condit. GSP wrecked Hughes, took away his title as WW GOAT. GSP left on top. Bitter Hughes.

Entreri site profile image

3/1/14 8:41 PM by Entreri

LOL. Hughes is still bitter.

Molsonmuscle360 site profile image

3/1/14 8:39 PM by Molsonmuscle360

I'm not sure if that shows the whole interview (I watched it live on Tim and Sid that day) but Matt Hughes also mentioned that he was in town helping kids that were cripples...I kinda cringed when he said that.

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh site profile image

3/1/14 8:08 PM by ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh site profile image

3/1/14 8:07 PM by ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh

GSP = GOAT

ophusker site profile image

3/1/14 4:24 PM by ophusker

You can say what you want about hughes but after his third fight with GSP he straight up said in the ring that GSP was a great young fighter and was definitely better than him. Im not sure I've ever heard a fighter say something like that so matter of fact like right after a fight. Hughes is a pretty straight up guy sometimes he's too blunt for people but he was always respectful after fights win or lose.As far as being bitter I'm not sure what he has to be bitter about. He had his run and is in the hall of fame. All fighters get beat eventually its justart of the org. More than anything it was just time for his run to end when he lost to gsp and if it hadnt been gsp it would have been somebody else. It happens to all fighters sooner or later. He was the same age when GSP beat him the first time that GSP is right now. The next generation of fighters is always going to catch up and pass you sooner or later. Part of that is the sport evolving and part is just getting older and slowing down. You just can't run at the top forever and Matt understands this. I don't think he's bitter at all towards GSP he's said on several occasions that he likes him and he's a good guy. He also was saying GSP was the best ww ever because he beat him twice back when a lot of people were still calling hughes the best ever. At his peak GSP was better than the best hughes at his peak that is the natural evolution of the sport. That said I'm not sure we ever saw the two fight each other at their peaks.

Gspthegoat site profile image

3/1/14 1:49 PM by Gspthegoat

Word. Vu

Gspthegoat site profile image

3/1/14 1:48 PM by Gspthegoat

Man would be nice if gsp seen him in person and could ask him about it. Hughes would be shaking, don't Tko or submit mePlease George's! I'm sorry I'll stop with the bitter quotes.

mwmhong site profile image