Dos Santos vs. Miocic to co-main event UFC 173

Last week the main event for UFC 173 was changed to Chris Weidman versus Lyoto Machida and today we learn what fight will serve as the co-main event:

A fight between Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight contenders Junior Dos Santos and Stipe Miocic has been added to the organization’s UFC 173 card, slated for Memorial Day weekend in Las Vegas.

The event, which is headlined by a middleweight title bout between Lyoto Machida and Chris Weidman, is scheduled for May 24 at MGM Grand.

Sources close to the UFC confirmed the bout to the Review-Journal on Monday evening.

The UFC had originally planned to have Dos Santos fight Alistair Overeem at the event, but Dana White said Overeem wanted nothing to do with the fight. Overeem claimed to be recovering from an injury.

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

NAAFS site profile image

3/4/14 4:22 PM by NAAFS

Preach

NAAFS site profile image

3/4/14 4:22 PM by NAAFS

Preach

RonFoster77 site profile image

3/4/14 2:56 PM by RonFoster77

Im a huge JDS fan, I've also spent 3 years off and on training at Strong style with Stipe and the rest of the guys. On paper JDS has the advantage just because he has fought a few higher level guys, but when you really think about it Stipe has better technical striking and has the ability to but JDS on his back whenever he wants. Correct me if im wrong I JDS has not finished one fight by sub during his UFC career. Stipe has better foot work, better combinations and I belive a better gas tank. JDS has the one shot KO power advantage but I think Stipe use superior footwork and boxing, mixing up the takedowns and out point JDS for the upset.

RonFoster77 site profile image

3/4/14 2:56 PM by RonFoster77

SimbaSpice site profile image

3/4/14 2:09 PM by SimbaSpice

What is "the striking department," Alex.

SimbaSpice site profile image

3/4/14 2:09 PM by SimbaSpice

What is "the striking department," Alex.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

3/4/14 1:56 PM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

Great fight. I'm hoping Stipe can pull off the upset.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

3/4/14 1:56 PM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

Great fight. I'm hoping Stipe can pull off the upset.

mtgclemson site profile image

3/4/14 1:49 PM by mtgclemson

bad match up for JDS styles make fights best fight for jds in terms of future preparations for another cain fight but whos in a rush to see cain vs jds other than the UFCcool fight but id rather see jds matched up with someone coming off a loss Barnett, Gonzaga, etc. Hunt vs Stipe number one contender *Hunts bs draw with bigfoot would basically be a W in my book jds vs Gonzaga or Barnett since Overeem is hurt

mtgclemson site profile image