Jones to Cormier: You shouldn't get a title shot beating cans

Following his win over the unheralded Patrick Cummins at light heavyweight Daniel Cormier told UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani he wants either a title shot or the next best thing.

“He wants nothing less than a number-one contender match," related Helwani. "He says he’ll be ok fighting the winner of Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson. If Jimi Manuwa beats Alexander Gustafsson, he believes he should get the next title fight. He wants number-one contender or title shot right away."

When that failed to elicit a response from Jones, Cormier sent him a direct message, via FOX Sports.

"Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier -?? bro, brother, would you be willing to give me a title shot?" Cormier asks.  "I'm asking nicely.  I'm not being aggressive.  I'm not trying to be confrontational, Jon, I'm just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight? Please, brother, please. Make the decision."

Now Jones responds directly, via the Great MMA Debate radio show.

"First and foremost, since you're speaking more respectfully, I'll say congratulations on your victory and your weight loss," said Jones as transcribed by MMA Mania. "But as far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now, only because of the fact that you really haven't fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter. I'm kind of sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like 'cans' until they get a title shot. I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well-known than Patrick Cummins. Fight against Rashad, fight against somebody legit, man. Then I think it would be a little more appropriate to give you that title shot."

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

SQUEEZIE site profile image

3/5/14 9:03 PM by SQUEEZIE

lol. so that makes jon jones joe silva or dana white how?

Golden_Monkey site profile image

3/5/14 5:44 PM by Golden_Monkey

DC has fought a better who's who list of fighters than jones did before his title shot.

ozy12076 site profile image

3/5/14 2:47 PM by ozy12076

How does this take up all his mental energy? He should just say he will fight whoever they put in there with him.

MisterHawkeMMA site profile image

3/5/14 2:42 PM by MisterHawkeMMA

Jones has the mindset of a UG'er. He thinks it's somehow cool to not be a company man, and to only take fights against those he feels deserve it. It's actually kind of funny that the UG gives him hate for acting exactly like they act. Me, I've ALWAYS been the type that thinks that a figther should fight WHOEVER they are told to fight. The only times a fighter should try and get a specific match-up is when it's obvious that whoever is managing him is avoiding certain fighters... like Vadim avoided Brock on Fedor's behalf.

chaplinshouse site profile image

3/5/14 1:25 PM by chaplinshouse

yup. "give me whoever, line em up, i'm unstoppable." *gets ass kicked* "whoa whoa, let's rethink this whole "anyone, anywhere" thing..."

CurtisTheConqueror site profile image

3/5/14 12:47 PM by CurtisTheConqueror

I hope Alexander knocks his ass out when they meet again. Tired of Jones' attitude

Arlovskis Chin site profile image

3/5/14 10:49 AM by Arlovskis Chin

Great idea

SonOfThePeepHole site profile image

3/5/14 9:25 AM by SonOfThePeepHole

Jones doesn't want to fight anyone, he just wants to be champ

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/5/14 9:17 AM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

You're right he doesn't have that right, and he clearly doesn't make any decisions on who he fights so not sure why this seems to bother you. You guys act like he has a cubicle at Zuffa headquarters and stops by and prints out contracts and sends them only to the guys he wants to fight. As I've brought up many times on this thread, if there is a fighter out there that he hasn't competed against because he's ducked them, I'd love to hear who it is.

kalt site profile image

3/5/14 8:17 AM by kalt

DC isn't entitled.JBJ has no right to decide who he fucking fights.