Rashad on Belfort, Reem, and T

Rashad Evans appeared recently on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour, and defended fellow Blackzilian Vitor Belfort, and his controversial use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT), that has now come to an end. Evans also discussed former Blackzilian Alistair Overeem.

Evans agreed with Nevada State Athletic Commission's decisions to end the practice of issuing Therapeutic Use Exemptions for TRT.

"You know, the commission does what it has to do," said Evans, as transcribed by MMA Fighting. "They were having a hard time with the whole situation. It was causing quit a bit of stir, to be honest, it was causing a big distraction. With a sport like mixed martial arts, I really don’t think it does the sport any good to have a label like that attached to it. We’re still a sport, we’re still growing.

Evans also said he hopes the change does not end Belfort's long hoPED for title shot.

"I don’t think he needs to compete with TRT, said Evans. "He’s a great fighter, great athlete, he doesn’t need any. I see so many people, they say such negative and nasty things about him and there’s been people that can make him the face of TRT, like there wasn’t so many other fighters who’ve done it, and do it.

"I don’t really think it’s fair for people to put that on him and make it seem like he’s a cheater when he was only doing what was in the rules to do. I hope he does get a chance to fight for the belt, and I hope he does get a chance to show people that him winning those fights had nothing to do with the TRT, it was just his ability and hard work."

Evans also discussed Alistair Overeem, who is still managed by Glenn Robinson, CEO of Authentic Sports Management and Blackzilian owner, but is no longer a member of the team. Anthony Johnson among others had voiced criticism of Overeem, said they only team he was a member of was his own. While he offered no harsh words, Evans never the less said things were easier with Overeem out.

"You know, I never really had a problem with Overeem," said Evans. "He was always cool to me, but to Anthony’s point, he never really did give the team a chance. Whenever he did his camp, he would always seclude himself into his own little private thing. A lot of people didn’t take too kindly to it.

"For me, I didn’t worry about it too much because I knew what I had to do for myself, and I knew that, if he don’t want to use the team, if he don’t believe in the team or whatever, that’s on him. That’s on him. I can’t tell him how to train, he’s a grown man. He’s been doing this for a while, I can’t tell him what he needs to do. He made the choice that he made and he got the results that he got, and that was on him."

"I don’t dislike him as a person. I’m not going to say I’m happy he’s not on the team, because that’s not true. I just, overall I guess I’m happy that our team is in a position where we’re not in conflict with each other.

"He’s not training with us anymore. A lot of the guys didn’t like him not being a part of the team. They didn’t like him separating himself from the team. They felt like it was very arrogant, and it wasn’t what we’re about."

Jaco Logo Shirt

Jaco Logo Shirt

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   PED   Rashad Evans (detail)  Vitor Belfort (detail)  video

DoomFarmer site profile image

3/4/14 9:50 PM by DoomFarmer

I'm just shocked people are operating under the assumption that these guys are clean in the first place...Naive.If your aim is to be entertained by this sport, you should want to see the most athletic and prime fighter you can possibly see.

YouCantHandleMyRiddum site profile image

3/4/14 9:43 PM by YouCantHandleMyRiddum

Lol, Randy beingg an American hero was nothing more than a gimmick orchestrated by the UFC. They were trying to shove that shit down our throats as if it was wrestling.

easedel site profile image

3/4/14 8:55 PM by easedel

Evans - I hope he does get a chance to fight for the belt, and I hope he does get a chance to show people that him winning those fights had nothing to do with the TRT, it was just his ability and hard work.Maybe he is just trying to stay neutral and not rattle any cages with a certain view but um shad, what do you think aided the guys hard work & ability?

Bearded Collie Herds Orca site profile image

3/4/14 8:24 PM by Bearded Collie Herds Orca

Randy was on TRT, but Randy also ran his training camps in a nursing home. Everything cdmontgo said...except that he made a distinction between TRT and steroids, when TRT IS EQUIVALENT TO STEROIDS. THEY ARE THE SAME THING. Testosterone, which is the "T" in Testosterone Replacement Therapy, is a steroid hormone. Just because they euphemized it by calling it therapy doesn't change the fact they are either injecting or topically applying steroids. The reason it's now called "Therapy" is partly because they understand it better and mostly so they can sell it to aging men without their cunto wives calling them roid heads. Testosterone has no place in competitive athletics, and if it does, then we might as well have robots fighting, because we'll have killed anything intrinsic and competitive about the sport. It's not just about improving athleticism, either; Testosterone changes the psychology of the fighter. Testosterone breeds confidence, aggressiveness, competitiveness, and drive. All of these are crucial in battle. Cheers to science for both telling us how to make fighters superhuman, and why we shouldn't.

cdmontgo site profile image

3/4/14 7:31 PM by cdmontgo

"But once the whole TRT thing got out and it’s been made to be such a big thing, I think it just only at that point just starts to do nothing but bad. Because people really didn’t understand it. People didn’t understand the whole TRT thing, and many people were just kind of like, ‘these guys are juicing, they’re on ’roids.’ They didn’t really understand the whole process of the TRT thing. So once it became the point of misunderstanding, then they did what they needed to do to get rid of it because at that point all our athletes would be looked at as not competing in the right way."What was misunderstood? Many of the guys who had a TUE had used steriods in the past which caused their balls to stop working. They cheated before, and they are still riding that train.Another common cause of low T in atheletes is overtraining, so they go on TRT which allows them to continue overtraining which is something they wouldn't be able to do naturally. This is very similar to taking steriods to improve your ability to recover from an instense workout which allows you to do it again the next day rather than being wrecked for days. This is cheating too.But again, they didn't ban TRT. They got rid of TUEs. As long as the T levels are below threshold at test time, they pass. Even if they don't, they are usually given a grace period to bring it down and retest.

RollHighAllDay site profile image

3/4/14 7:15 PM by RollHighAllDay

Randy couture was TRT'd to the gills, admittedly, and everyone called him an American hero.