Jones: Are Cormier and Gustafsson afraid to fight each other?

When Alexander Gustafsson beat Jimmy Manuwa at UFN 27 in London, UFC president Dana White announced that "The Mauler" would get the next shot at the winner of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones vs. challenger Glover Teixeira at UFC 172 in April.

Gustafsson said he thought it was Jones he would be fighting, but Jones says he thinks  Gustafsson needs one more fight first.

"Why not give the winner of Alexander and [Daniel Cormier] the winner of myself and Glover??" asked Jones on Twitter. "Call me what you want but I can't be the only person who thinks that makes perfect sense. I see DC congratulating Alexander and making comments about waiting his turn now. I wonder if they're afraid to fight each other? People who don't like to think are quick to call me afraid. Think about it, I'm asking for the meanest of the two would you face winner of Phil vs Anthony?"

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

TenOfSwords site profile image

3/12/14 6:32 AM by TenOfSwords

But if Gus is getting the next title shot, and DC the next one after that, where does that leave Rashad? Hopefully, desperately ISO a way to contact Mike Dolce!

MMASWEDEN site profile image

3/12/14 5:29 AM by MMASWEDEN

Anthomis site profile image

3/10/14 8:44 PM by Anthomis

Considering the fact that 90% of people think Lyoto won that fight, Davis got knocked back abit.But if Davis beats Johnson, I think a DC vs Davis for the titleshot would be ideal

doerksenfan site profile image

3/10/14 6:36 PM by doerksenfan

To add to my earlier post, while I think Jon is trying to use the media to get what he wants and disguise it as something the fans *should* want, I don't think he's a coward. He's fought everyone put in front of him. The thing is, he (or someone) likened the Gustafsson beating to being in a car crash. There is a very good chance Jones goes through that hell again, so I don't blame him for not rushing to face Alex right away. This is a man who got used to destroying people - remember when Lyoto tagging Jones clean was the most offense anyone ever scored on him? He went from that, to being wheeled away in an ambulance when Sweden came around. Ask most fighters, I'm sure the great majority will want to win quickly and cleanly, rather than have a knockdown, drag-out, 15 (or 25) minute battle that shaves years off your fighting life. Jones is thinking of himself as a business, which is fine, but he's losing points by not being upfront about it. Yeah right Jon, Alex and DC are "afraid" to fight each other. Ridiculous. The great majority of people (and Dana) want to see Jones vs. The Mauler, or secondly, Jones vs. DC. Jones talking about anything else is a clear diversion. Not necessarily a cowardly one, but a diversion nonetheless.

DatSpiderLeg209 site profile image

3/10/14 6:34 PM by DatSpiderLeg209

"Jag tror att han (jones) är lite halvskraj faktiskt" - Gus on Jones.Basically says Jones is worried.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/10/14 4:38 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

I realize it's the 'cool' thing these days to bag on Jones and most of you aren't smart enough to think for yourselves so you jump on the bandwagon, but is Jones really someone you'd refer to as a "chickenshit?" Out of a world of nearly 7 billion people the guy who's stepped into a locked cage and fought Gustaffson, Shogun, Vitor, Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage, Vera, Chael, Bader, soon to be Glover, etc...is the one you'd consider a chickenshit?

Ray Cappa site profile image

3/10/14 4:24 PM by Ray Cappa

Gamesmanship or chickenshit?

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/10/14 4:02 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Honestly, it was the fight to make and have it on the same night as Jones vs Glover to help build up the next. But now, not so much. Might as well just have Gus fight for the title next again.However, not sure why Phil Davis is constantly overlooked. He's 9-1 in the UFC, has only lost to Rashad and if he beats Rumble, it will be 4 in a row, making him 10-1. He should absolutely be in a contenders match next, likely with DC. If he'd win that it would be 5 in a row. That's a fuck ton more than DC has done in the UFC and especially at 205.

Anthomis site profile image

3/10/14 3:37 PM by Anthomis

Jon Jones seems scared. But I agree to an extent.DC vs GusJBJ vs Gloverwinners fight eachother. losers fight eachother (unless theres a better fight to make)

Damaynevent site profile image

3/10/14 2:00 PM by Damaynevent

Tell us about all your major accomplishments?