GSP gives edge to Hendricks at UFC 171

At this weekend's UFC 171 Johny Hendricks will battle Robbie Lawler for the vacant welterweight title. The man who vacated the title, Georges St-Pierre recently commented on who he thought had the edge heading into the fight this weekend at UFC 171.

"It’s a fight where anything can happen," St-Pierre told The Canadian Press. "Both guys can put each other to sleep. They have a lot of power in striking, but I believe Hendricks has the edge in this fight because I believe he will come more well-prepared with his team and he’s got an edge in the grappling department."

Hendricks (15-2) is a former two-time NCAA wrestling champion.

St-Pierre (25-2) left a 12-fight winning streak and a string of UFC records behind him. But he says it won’t be strange seeing someone else have his belt strapped around their waist.

"No, because it was my choice to give away the title. It was my choice so I don’t regret anything. I feel very good and I’m happy that I did it. I feel better now."

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Royal Guard UFC 167 Walkout Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

Affliction GSP Team St. Pierre Shirt

BandakaKush site profile image

3/11/14 11:53 AM by BandakaKush

GSP is just being humble. He out pointed Hendrix, landed more shots and defended the takedowns. If anyone deserves to be the new champion though it is Hendrix. He hurt GSP bad and did more damage.

WelterweightBatman site profile image

3/10/14 6:04 PM by WelterweightBatman

While I would agree about the conduit fight, I think there's a strong case that Johnny beat gsp

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

3/10/14 5:58 PM by Zed Wayne Zed

Either way, Robbie Lawler V.2014 is the scariest version of this previously scary fighter we have ever seen.Lawler was at this before almost anyone on here was even watching this sport.(NO need to chime in 01rs, we get it, you drank milk before the cow was born. :)

chaplinshouse site profile image

3/10/14 5:53 PM by chaplinshouse

acknowledgment of the ass whoopin he experienced first hand imo. and it was kinda DISrespectful to imply the respected ATT won't have their guy as ready as "team takedown." the camp most haven't heard of that only deals with pro fighters and who's only star is Hendricks.

Entreri site profile image

3/10/14 8:20 AM by Entreri

Hendricks has the edge. However, he lost to GSP and arguably lost to Condit. Lawler has the momentum. He has been a wrecking machine.

Jack_Bauer site profile image

3/10/14 7:41 AM by Jack_Bauer

I'm not surprised, he gave the edge to Hendricks at UFC 167 too.

Blunted Ninja site profile image

3/9/14 11:48 PM by Blunted Ninja

He might not ever admit the fact Hendricks beat him up, but GSP talking him up and his camp is an acknowledgement of respect. IMO..

Rob San Soo site profile image