Rogan: Weight cutting can cause low T

UFC commentator Joe Rogan recently spoke with PEDs-exclusive-interview-mma" target="_blank">MMAMania's Matthew Roth about the recent ban on Testosterone Replacement Therapy by the highly influential Nevada State Athletic Commission. Rogan said that he was for the ban, due to the abuse of the system that was in place, but also discussed the downsides of the wholesale ban.

"I think that there's most certainly people abusing it," said Rogan. "It sucks because people who aren't abusing it and actually need it, like Bigfoot. You want to talk about a guy who absolutely probably needs it, how about a guy who had a tumor in his pituitary gland and has a real health issue. So if you want to think about guys who really need it, they're being punished. There are a few guys who I'm sure really do need it."

"The other is weight cutting. Weight cutting affects it as well. It kills your whole f---ing system, man, and if you do it a lot over a long period of time, it can wreak havoc on your entire body. But, there's also people who have legit diseases."

"The question is: Should those people who have legit problems and not producing enough testosterone -- should they be allowed to receive a use exemption? Was it a hasty thing to completely ban it or should they have cut way back and said to people 'you're 33 years old, why do you need testosterone?'"

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

tags: PED   Regulation   Joe Rogan

MickColins site profile image

3/24/14 2:19 PM by MickColins

Boxing being such a tightly regulated sport. I doubt anyone fears getting caught so why bring it up?

Hammerstein site profile image

3/24/14 1:57 PM by Hammerstein

I've heard that being female also causes low T so all female fighters should automatically be granted exemptions.

BshMstr site profile image

3/24/14 1:44 PM by BshMstr

i'm curious about this as well..i posted a link to a short term study, but i guess if cutting weight always caused low "T,", then every wrestler would have low levels...

BshMstr site profile image

3/24/14 1:41 PM by BshMstr

i have no issue with people using TRT...my issues is if the guy with low test due to head injuries prolongs a career with TRT, and gets hit in the head a bunch more.it's not just an additive issue with concussions at that point, but damage seems to multiply....

eljamaiquino site profile image

3/24/14 9:05 AM by eljamaiquino

They don't request exemptions. They just self medicate.

SmackyBear site profile image

3/24/14 8:29 AM by SmackyBear

I realize my post is directly after your post, but I was actually just addressing the general statement.That being said every time someone has posted a study as proof to me, it doesn't say anything that supports their argument.

Lazer MMA site profile image

3/24/14 8:08 AM by Lazer MMA

I've sourced studies prior. I'm not looking again though for it

SmackyBear site profile image

3/24/14 8:04 AM by SmackyBear

I'm not saying it doesn't, but I constantly hear this, but nobody ever presents a study that weight cutting causes long term hypogonadism.It's certainly true that it reduces testosterone in the short term, but that doesn't automatically mean long term weight cutting causes permanent problems.

Lazer MMA site profile image

3/24/14 7:59 AM by Lazer MMA

Cutting weight causes low T. Many wrestlers that cut weight for years 'the wrong way' suffer from this = old hat

Rabid Bunyip site profile image

3/24/14 7:35 AM by Rabid Bunyip

"In my conversations that I've had with doctors who prescribe testosterone to people with brain injuries, there's two types of people that need testosterone because of contact sports. There's most certainly people that get hit in the head too much and their bodies stop producing testosterone correctly.""The other is weight cutting. Weight cutting affects it as well. It kills your whole fucking system, man, and if you do it a lot over a long period of time, it can wreak havoc on your entire body. But, there's also people who have legit diseases."As already pointed out there are more than two reasons. The most common is prior steroid use.