Guillard happy with UFC cut, anticipates pay raise

UFC Lightweight Melvin Guillard was released by the UFC recently, after going 2-5, with one NC in his last eight fights. Guillard appeared recently on The MMA Hour, voiced surprise at the cut, but said it was for the best.

As was rumored, he said he went into his last fight, a decision loss to Michael Johnson, with some injuries, but added that that is not an excuse.

"My ribs are still messed up," said Guillard, as transcribed by MMAMania. "I got a busted hand, but my injuries are my problem. This is my first interview since the fight, you're the first person I'm talking to."

"For me, honestly, I thought it was the best thing that could happen to me at this point in my career. They gave me a platform for a lot of organizations, and a lot of people want me right now."

"I was supposed to fight Ross Pearson. I asked to fight Michael, but it was still a fight that wasn't supposed to happen. I had a bad performance, my fault, my bad. I'm the one out there doing do my job, I'm the one ending up fighting injured, but I'll take that. Michael put on a great fight, he beat me that night. I had a horrible performance. But, did I think I was going to get released? No, I had no idea. I thought I was going to be put on the shelf."

"I was actually happy because I felt like, I could sign with another company, and that company is gonna pay me way more than I make with UFC."

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Melvin Guillard (detail)  video

trok site profile image

3/25/14 4:50 PM by trok

I really like Melvin as a fighter and rate him a high. Since breaking up with Jackson's he hasn't been the same fighter he was.. He hasn't for one reason or another able to find a team around him and been travelling from a gym to another. I hope him best for the future.

Libero21 site profile image

3/25/14 4:34 PM by Libero21

This. Melvin is fringe top 10 and can be a top 5 fighter if he fights smart, he beats all of WSOF, and one FC lightweights IMO. And could beat Alvarez and chandler if it stays standing

Pitbull3744 site profile image

3/25/14 3:51 PM by Pitbull3744

Talks about Melvin has picture of Phil Davis.  UG blog great job as always.

Blazing Knees site profile image

3/25/14 3:49 PM by Blazing Knees

Actuall, I think that's it. he gets caught up in the moment and forgets his game plans and goes on brawling instinct. He's not the most technical fighter, but I think that he's a handful and his speed makes up for some of it.  I would imagine the prospect of facing him in the cage is daunting. Dude's had like 50 fights, who knows how many street/hood fights he's had. He's still a dangerous opponent for anyone, any org.

TARRat site profile image

3/25/14 2:48 PM by TARRat

Maybe Melvin can get some pointers on getting paid from Sapp?

VinegarStrokes site profile image

3/25/14 8:46 AM by VinegarStrokes

Rich by submission.

Madrugadao site profile image

3/25/14 8:43 AM by Madrugadao

Fuck off Melvin. You are not (or barely) top ten and only 95% of your fights are incredibly entertaining.- UG

KZTT_FawkingxD site profile image

3/25/14 8:42 AM by KZTT_FawkingxD

I really do enjoy Melvin guillard and appreciate him as a fighter and person. You can tell how well he does when he had things in order, not sure if it's gym beef or pride or whatever, but hope he really can find a home at ATT. He's a great guy with a bad past, one of these you get veterans with a huge past in fights.He always brought it for the most part, and had some great fights where he finished or got finished. Wish the best for him!

Acecool72 site profile image

3/25/14 8:01 AM by Acecool72

Yeah he has has his chances they could have dumped him when he got popped for cocaine but if he can string some wins to gather in a smaller organization I'm sure the ufc will give him another shot

Blazing Knees site profile image

3/25/14 7:47 AM by Blazing Knees

Melvins  had his share of trouble in the UFC too. Got suspended for cocaine after he accused Stephenson of taking HGH-got thrown out of the UFC for flipping a bird and attacking No Love after the fight and generally saying the wrong things at the wrong times....like now.

MMA clothing and gear