Weidman injured, title bout with Machida postponed until July

Chris Weidman was scheduled to make his second title defense this May at UFC versus Lyoto Machida, however, now fans will have to wait a bit longer:

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today that middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled title defense against Lyoto Machida on May 24. Weidman suffered a knee injury that will require minor surgery and his bout with Machida has been rescheduled for Saturday, July 5. A new main event for UFC 173 on May 24 will be announced in the days to come.

The UFC first announced the change on their Twitter account and a replacement main event for the show is expected soon.

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Venum Competitor Brazil Inspired Dry Fit Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Roots of Fight Machida Karate Shirt

Kid_dynamite319 site profile image

3/26/14 4:50 PM by Kid_dynamite319

I actually had Weidman defeating Machida, now i'm not so sure if he will. Granted he is only having a minor knee surgery but I think he is getting operated on both knees.I think most likely he wins a decision but I have a gut feeling he wins in the 2nd or 3rd.

sitchpack site profile image

3/26/14 5:37 AM by sitchpack

1hitwonder site profile image

3/26/14 5:08 AM by 1hitwonder

Wait Machida was given this fight because it was not enough time for Belfort to come off of TRT but would this delay not give him the adequate time needed to be back in the picture? How bout this for a conspiracy, Weidman hurt fight delayed and pushed to 175 next Machida will withdraw and Belfort will re-enter the picture...

genghis crum site profile image

3/26/14 2:24 AM by genghis crum

injuries in highly anticipated for fights for me are such a shitty fucken feeling, that feeling i get when a really good main event is scrapped is like a screw driver getting jammed into my pee hole

machidasweidman site profile image

3/25/14 5:32 PM by machidasweidman

oh come on man! Now Chris is ducking Machida! Who would have thought?

Pleepleus site profile image

3/25/14 11:43 AM by Pleepleus

First off I don't know how to post pics.I'm curious if anyone else has notices how much Jacare has changed. He is completely shredded now. He was always muscular, but his definition has really changed. Similar to Vitors. Look at Vitor when he fought Terry Martin or Hendo, and compare his build to his physic now. Look at Jacare when he fought Mousassi and then him at yesterday's weigh ins.

AdmiralCackbar site profile image

3/24/14 10:25 PM by AdmiralCackbar

That's how I see it. They needed a big headliner for that card. Here it is.

YonYones site profile image

3/24/14 10:24 PM by YonYones

Not sure how i feel about this "injury". I see this as a good move from the business perspective: 175 has a nicer ring to it than 173, and the 4th of July card is arguably the biggest of the year.Well played, UFC

The Winter Soldier site profile image