Henderson offers to replace Weidman vs. Machida at UFC 173

The UFC recently announced that Chris Weidman had injured his knee, and was out of the title defense vs. Lyoto Machida at UFC 173 on May 24. Although the bout has been postponed until July 5, Dan Henderson would like to step in vs. Machida, via Twitter.

Dan Henderson@danhendo
Hey @danawhite, let me have @lyotomachidafw, just like you let him have @jonnybones when I got hurt

The fight would be a double win for Henderson, with a win likely getting him a title shot, and avenging a split decision loss to "The Dragon" almost exactly one year ago.

However, the UFC wants to keep the Weidman vs. Machida fight intact, and will be looking for an entirely different fight to headline UFC 173. Further, the pair's first fight was not notably fan friendly.

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

Clinch Gear Pro Series Fire Shorts

louden swain site profile image

3/25/14 10:30 AM by louden swain

I don'tsee the problem...that fight was just last year and machida wanted absolutely NONE of Dan on his bycicle for 3 rds....Machia sure as shit ain't KO'ing Dan, and if Da got more aggressive with him now knowing his fight, Dan could beat him...

louden swain site profile image

3/25/14 10:30 AM by louden swain

Stephen Holder site profile image

3/25/14 10:11 AM by Stephen Holder

You cant ever blame any of these fighters for taking an opportunity to ask when a situation like this occurs. If I were Hendo I'd at least try too. The fact of the matter is though at this point, its well established that the fight wasnt 'cancelled' per se, just moved back 2 months. Fighters get a pass for trying. The UG doesnt. The threads made by people on here (not this one necessarily) proposing all these alternate opponents for Machida in May need to stop. The Wiedman fight is still going down. Stop being toolbags.

Stephen Holder site profile image

3/25/14 10:11 AM by Stephen Holder

Woodford Mike site profile image

3/25/14 9:05 AM by Woodford Mike

I'm always up for seeing Hendo fight, but have no interest in seeing this one again. That first fight was absolutely dreadful.

Woodford Mike site profile image

3/25/14 9:05 AM by Woodford Mike

I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo site profile image

3/25/14 3:57 AM by I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

I want Machida to fight Weidman. Machida should wait. Not signed.

I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo site profile image

3/25/14 3:57 AM by I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

I want Machida to fight Weidman. Machida should wait. Not signed.

Wasa-B site profile image