Davis: Only losers use PEDs

It's been a much-talked about subject since testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) exemptions have been eliminated from (most of) the sport, but the drug problem is still alive and well, according to blockbuster mega-stars like Georges St-Pierre.

Davis reiterated his stance on the subject, making sure it's clear that he will never use anything to get an edge, and that PEDs are for losers.

"I have no reason to use PEDs. Guys who use PEDs have to first admit one thing to (themselves), 'I am not good enough to win on my own, therefore I need to take something and that's all the mental edge I need.' You're not good enough to hang in there with me. I'm taking absolutely nothing. I don't even have a strict diet. If you think you have to go in there and take PEDs to stay competitive and win, I've already won, because you're not good enough."

That's some real talk.

Affliction Phil Davis Victory UFC Walkout Shirt

Affliction Phil Davis Victory UFC Walkout Shirt

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

tags: Phil Davis (detail)

Rob San Soo site profile image

3/27/14 8:44 AM by Rob San Soo

Yawn

1a1 site profile image

3/27/14 7:27 AM by 1a1

Overeem beat Werdum although it was close

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

3/27/14 12:24 AM by Bisping decisioned my SN

Spoken like someone who has never been on the gear. It's night and day difference btw basic vitamins and supps. It's a completely different animal. With that said I'm all for allowing steroids because there's no getting rid of it

orcus site profile image

3/27/14 12:07 AM by orcus

"I say, doing whatever you can to enhance your performance is completely legitimate and justified, in fact it's YOUR JOB as a professional athlete. Your #1 job. And it's what winners do. Whether it's a protein shake, a hypobaric chamber for a bed, or a needle of testosterone there's no difference. In fact the only one of those 3 that's natural is testosterone. Our bodies make it. But this "natural" versus "not natural" dichotomy is moronic, irrational, baseless and insipid. Nor does anyone apply it consistently. Cryo-machines and hypobaric chambers are not natural. Not natural at all."Yep. To me, it's not about getting an unfair advantage over your opponent. It's about being the best YOU can be. Being the best version of yourself.

orcus site profile image

3/27/14 12:06 AM by orcus

Brock is the best guy he ever beat on PEDs, and after Brock it's who? Fujita? Brett Rogers? He wasn't exactly king of MMA no matter how jacked he got. I'm sure even now he could roll through the Fujitas of the sport.I agree that Alistair is the clearest case of someone benefitting dramatically from PEDs, but even in his case, he didn't beat anyone of significance other than Brock (who was clearly not at his best).

kalt site profile image

3/26/14 11:59 PM by kalt

I don't respect his stance. It's no different than saying only losers exercise, spar, and train. If you can't win a fight without spending 12 hours a day training, you have no business fighting. If you're not in fighting shape already, you have no business fighting. If you don't have the natural-born talent to know how to fight, spending years training is a waste of time and for LOSERS.Likewise, taking vitamins, eating customized Dolce diets, and using all sorts of protein supplements and the like is for losers as well. If you can't be healthy and ready to fight by eating a grilled chicken breast and some veggies, stay out of the octagon - taking all kinds of artificial vitamin and protein supplements is for LOSERS.Training at altitude and sleeping in hypobaric chambers to create more red blood cells to increase oxygen and endurance is for LOSERS. If you have to go to new mexico or colorado to train, you're a LOSER.Johnny Hendricks is a loser for having to use a cryo-whatever liquid nitrogen machine to heal and regenerate his muscles after a workout. He bashes TRT but he was so proud of his million dollar cryo-machine. Loser.At least according to Davis' logic.I say, doing whatever you can to enhance your performance is completely legitimate and justified, in fact it's YOUR JOB as a professional athlete. Your #1 job. And it's what winners do. Whether it's a protein shake, a hypobaric chamber for a bed, or a needle of testosterone there's no difference. In fact the only one of those 3 that's natural is testosterone. Our bodies make it. But this "natural" versus "not natural" dichotomy is moronic, irrational, baseless and insipid. Nor does anyone apply it consistently. Cryo-machines and hypobaric chambers are not natural. Not natural at all.

KOphil25 site profile image

3/26/14 11:57 PM by KOphil25

Coming from the guy with obvious gyno lol

DirtyLickinsBrah site profile image

3/26/14 11:51 PM by DirtyLickinsBrah

How can u not respect his stance?I agree 100% if u on Peds or trt or whatever, then u dont think u are good enough to win being natural.The problem is, too many people accept ped use, and think these cheaters should be rewarded by legalizing the stuff."everyone's doing it, make it legal"Yet, not everyone is doing...

JunkieDog site profile image

3/26/14 10:48 PM by JunkieDog

I always lol @ statements like this. What is he claiming some "moral" victory or something? He can't seriously think that he has some mental edge over somebody who happens to have done a cycle or two of this or that, boosted their T levels to get them through recovery or hell, even full on went nutso and put whatever they could find into their veins.People talk about GSP sounding like he's preaching from Lance Armstrongs soap box? THIS GUY sounds like he's standing on Lance's soap box!

Whambo site profile image

3/26/14 9:42 AM by Whambo

If anyone doubts the effectiveness of PEDS look no further than Overeem's career. He had a major falling off, got jacked from PEDS, had a huge winning streak, was forced off PEDS and started losing again.