Gustafsson: Jon Jones is trying to avoid me

UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson gave Jon Jones the fight of his life at UFC 165 in September. Gustafsson handily dispatched the previously unabated Jimi Manuwa at UFC Fight Night 37 on March 8, earning a title shot at the winner of Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira at UFC 172 on April 26.

However, Jones recently took to Twitter with some matchmaking suggestions - he thinks Gustafsson needs one more fight first, vs. Daniel Cormier.

"Why not give the winner of Alexander and DC the winner of myself and Glover??" asked Jones on Twitter. "Call me what you want but I can't be the only person who thinks that makes perfect sense. I see DC congratulating Alexander and making comments about waiting his turn now. I wonder if they're afraid to fight each other? People who don't like to think are quick to call me afraid. Think about it, I'm asking for the meanest of the two would you face winner of Phil vs Anthony?"

Gustafsson was interviewed recently by BT Sport, and said he thinks Jones is trying to avoid a rematch.

"If I look at Jon' perspective I don't think that's strange, because he tries to avoid me," said Gustafsson. "Everyone can see that; I can see that. He does what it takes to not fight me. For myself, it doesn't make any sense. I think DC is a great fighter. I respect him, and I think he's a top contender. But I think he has to have another fight or two before he will fight for the title. The only thing that makes sense, in my mind, it's me versus Jones next."

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Kid_dynamite319 site profile image

3/26/14 5:01 PM by Kid_dynamite319

Every round was close imo. I re watched the fight and I gave Jon rounds 1,4 and 5. I felt like the first round was clearly Jon's, based on the fact that he landed more strikes and landed a lot of good elbows to Gustafssons head. Round 4 was close both fighters went back and forth, then Jon landed that elbow and hurt Gus, which sealed the deal imo.Round 5 was Jons as well considering that he had the stronger finish still a close round.Either way you look at the fight Jon won 3 rounds to 2 and had won the overall fight in general.

Libero21 site profile image

3/26/14 3:30 PM by Libero21

This. Jon battled adversity and won the championship rounds.

AdmiralCackbar site profile image

3/26/14 3:22 PM by AdmiralCackbar

I'm not really a fan of Fightmetric either way. Numbers are great and all, but they don't always tell the story of a fight.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/26/14 3:03 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

"Those were head strikes, not significant strikes. Jones landed a lot more kicks, which is why he outscored Gus in that category. "No, I know. I don't know why I threw the "significant strikes" stat in, maybe just to show the overall numbers. However, the poster pointed out that Gus had landed 88 heads shots towards the end of round 4, per the above pic. Per Fightmetrix, head strikes at the end of the fight were 66-55 in Gustaffson's favor. It's why I asked how accurate the on screen numbers are. I'd think, but I really don't know, that Fightmetrix would be more accurate as they have the luxury of going back and rewatching the fight multiple times.

T Bag site profile image

3/26/14 2:53 PM by T Bag

The during the fight stat was laughably wrong which is why the finalized figures look so different.Fightmetric always performs a full corrected review post-fight before issuing their reports.

AdmiralCackbar site profile image

3/26/14 2:53 PM by AdmiralCackbar

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

3/26/14 2:39 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Never said it wasn't close. However, not sure how accurate that is. Fightmetrix had Gus landing a total of 66 head shots through the entire fight with the significant strikes in Jones favor 134-110. Did Gus somehow lose 22 strikes in the final round?http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/09/jones-vs-gustafsson-official-ufc.html

Forward site profile image

3/26/14 2:37 PM by Forward

Gus and Jones was a great. I felt Gus gassed and through out the rounds took too much kicks. To win against Jones 2 he's going to have to lay it all on the line. Constantly moving side to side , in and out, attacking high and low. Do not give Jones time to rest. Keep his hands up and do not get taken down.Jones is a great champion, he has proven that in times of danger (getting hit and hurt) he was able to stay calm, has great defence and big heart. His strikes are so accurate and his timing are on. If there is a 2. We all know at some point they both will go for the take down, and someone will be taken down. its all about timing. It's going to be bloody.

AdmiralCackbar site profile image

3/26/14 2:36 PM by AdmiralCackbar

Don't forget that Gus also landed a lot of body shots.

Cain Gastelum site profile image

3/26/14 2:28 PM by Cain Gastelum

The reason the judges and 14/15 media sites gave it to him is because they gave him the 4th Round, when the majority (over 4 mins) of that round was Gus getting the better of him. That elbow, which definitley had its effect on Gus, shouldn't have been enough to steal 4 mins that Gus had on him. It hurt gus, but let's not act like he was dropped and Jones ended it on top wailing away at him. Here's a stat before Jones landed that shot     So don't act like it wasn't a close fight.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!