Dennis Siver blames new nutritionist for failed drug test

German UFC featherweight Dennis Siver, 35, failed a PED drug test administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission, following his win over Manny Gamburyan at UFC 168 on Dec. 28. The NAC made the announcement on March 15, and has yet to release information about Siver's punishment. Never the less, Siver recently released a statement in his native German.

Today I would like to issue a public statement and give my fans and supporters the opportunity to form their own opinion on how the alleged doping allegations against me came about.

Last fall, my coach Niko Sulenta was diagnosed with severe cancer, which lead to me being on my own during the preparations for a UFC fight for the first time, without me being able to draw on his longstanding care and advice. Niko has always been essential to my weight reduction.

So prior to UFC 168 I had to hire an external personal trainer and nutritionist to support me with making weight. The nutritionist recommended me a new diet method from the US, which had been successfully used by the stars.

Thereupon I asked, if I, as a competitive professional athlete, could safely use this supplement. This was confirmed to me. Then I committed the fatal mistake of not making sure through the UFC if individual substances from the supplement could have effects on the drug tests.

I flew to the US and won my fight. I was all the more shocked when the result of the A sample was deemed ’inconclusive’ and I was hoping for the result of the B sample. They found a small component of hCG in my urine sample – a minor ingredient of the diet preparation and a substance which is banned in the UFC.

I do not want to blame anyone for this result and I take full responsibility for my gullible and careless behavior. It was my mistake and it was grossly negligent. But I distance myself from any kind of doping. In my previous sixteen UFC fights, not even the smallest banned substance has been detected. This makes the current events all the more disappointing and shocking for me and my team.

The UFC is holding a card in Germany on May 31. It is not yet known whether Siver will be able to appear on it.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

tags: Regulation   Nevada   Dennis Siver (detail)

cdmontgo site profile image

4/24/14 4:50 PM by cdmontgo

Hermes Franca did it after he pissed hot when he fought Sherk for the title, but that wasn't the only thing he ended up doing.

Hammerstein site profile image

4/7/14 5:23 PM by Hammerstein

Way to minimize knowingly taking a banned substance, Dennis.  He's only sorry he got caught.

Card site profile image

4/7/14 3:40 PM by Card

Dennis Siver admits to using 'hCG drops' prior to UFC 168 http://www.groundandpound.de/mma/mma-deutschland/news/dennis-siver-admits-i-took-hcg-drops/ "Before my last fight, I took a medium to help me with my diet, hCG drops. This is an over the counter product, you can buy it on the internet. It’s nothing bad, it was supposed to help burning fat and it helps suppressing the hungry feeling. That’s why I tried it, and unfortunately, it came up in the drug test. There was a small value in my sample, but it was enough to suspend me indefinitely until the situation is going to be dissolved.   And unfortunately, everything is taking too long, in my opinion, because normally, it should be dealt with within two or three weeks and then you know where you’re at. In my case, this thing has taken three months already and it continues to get pushed back more and more by the athletic commission. Nobody is able to do anything about it, neither me nor the UFC. That’s why I won’t be able to fight in Berlin. Even if the punishment will be minor or there will be no punishment at all, there’s not enough time to prepare for a fight. That’s why I’ll have to fight somewhere else."

JayBRO site profile image

3/28/14 8:39 AM by JayBRO

Like I already said, hcg is derived from the urine of pregnant women, so you better hope this isn't in any of your food lol

Mike_in_CA site profile image

3/28/14 1:30 AM by Mike_in_CA

Who food or supplement contains Hcg ?

JayBRO site profile image

3/28/14 12:31 AM by JayBRO

Hcg can increase estrogen thus increasing water retention.

time traveling 12er site profile image

3/27/14 9:22 PM by time traveling 12er

I'm guessing his story is partially true.  His trainer got sick so he had to rely on someone else to manage his PED cycle for him and they screwed up.

TampabayMMA site profile image

3/27/14 8:30 PM by TampabayMMA

You could be right, Im just going from memory. I do remember than in the eighties the word on hcg was that it allowed pregnant women to metabolize fat when adequate food wasnt available.

whoabro site profile image

3/27/14 8:13 PM by whoabro

First of all the ufc doesnt test for anything, the ACs do.There is no urine test for hgh. Not sure if the ACs include it in the random blood tests they occasionally do.

BshMstr site profile image

3/27/14 8:09 PM by BshMstr

does the UFC test for hGH?