Josh Burkman asks for release from WSOF contract

Josh Burkman has been with the World Series of Fighting since it's inception and was one of it's biggest stars with a 4-1 record in their first five events.

However, now Burkman is hoping to jump ship, citing a lack of respect from the promotion for him:

I can't work on going anywhere else unless #WSOF releases me. If so, we will start fresh somewhere else...

@bigfish042 I feel they did me wrong contractually. I asked to be released.

read official Twitter...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

jTheHybridwolff site profile image

4/5/14 1:27 PM by jTheHybridwolff

He's not going nowhere he's fighting the winner

Allen Hood site profile image

4/5/14 1:24 PM by Allen Hood

UFC return ?

Blazing Knees site profile image

4/5/14 8:16 AM by Blazing Knees

I met Josh at UFC 57- super nice guy, took a couple pics with me

jTheHybridwolff site profile image

4/5/14 7:47 AM by jTheHybridwolff

Problem solved! @JoshBurkman: All is well w @MMAWorldSeries and w @AliAbdelaziz00 contract issues are resolved and I'll be fighting the winner of Fitch vs Phalhares.

Tachycardia site profile image

4/5/14 12:35 AM by Tachycardia

Dana would put him on the main card just for his dismantling of Fitch

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

4/4/14 11:43 PM by MasterofMartialArts

How could he have known he was wronged before he signed the contract? That makes zero sense. From what it sounds like, they aren't following their own terms that are written.

The Vaporizer site profile image

4/4/14 11:31 PM by The Vaporizer

He's staying and fighting the winner of Paul Harris and FItch.http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/conflict-resolved-burkman-stays-with-wsof-fights-winner-of-palhares-vs-fitch/

Chromium site profile image

4/4/14 9:00 AM by Chromium

Yeah, I'm sure that'll get Abdel-Aziz on Burkman's good side and the junior high sarcasm will totally bring him around. Really, those are the sort of comments you only say after negotiations have failed, as a promotional parting shot. I suppose I could maybe understand if this statement had come about after a week or two of failed negotiations and both sides coming to an impasse, but Burkman had requested his release less than 12 hours earlier. Either AAA has given up already or he's just generally incompetent.

Pitbull3744 site profile image

4/4/14 8:50 AM by Pitbull3744

Yeah that would make sense seeing as how Josh put FItch to sleep with ease.

Pessimist_Pete site profile image

4/4/14 8:44 AM by Pessimist_Pete

"Look, if Josh Burkman wants out of his deal because he just doesn’t want to fight Rousimar Palhares or Jon Fitch, I don’t blame him – those are tough, tough guys,” - WSOF executive, per MMA Junkie