Matyushenko to retire next Friday

Light heavyweight Vladimir "The Janitor" Matyushenko, 43, plans to retire following a fight next Friday, April 11, vs. Joey Beltran at Bellator 116 at the Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California. Matyushenko made the announcement to Frank Trigg on the “Toe to Toe With Trigg” radio show on MMAOddsbreaker.

A former Soviet national wrestling champion, Vladdy defected to the West, speaking no English. He won Juco nationals in 1996 and 1997, and graduated from the University of Nevada in 1999.

That same year he became a professional MMA fighter.

He went 4-3 during his latest UFC run, which ended just six months ago. He was the IFL light heavyweight champion, going undefeated in the league. During his first run the UFC, Matyushenko worked his way to a title shot vs. Tito Ortiz. He holds wins over Yuki Kondo, Antônio Rogério Nogueira, Pedro Rizzo, Carlos Barreto, Tim Boetsch, and Igor Pokrajac among many others.

“Last fight, Trigg," said Vladdy. "This is my last fight. Doesn’t matter win or lose. That’s it. Training people, there’s a possibility to open my own gym again. Or I could go the complete opposite direction and work the railroad. I’ll be happy just keeping myself busy.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

Samoa site profile image

4/12/14 3:41 PM by Samoa

Looks like it. And if he retires a third time I'm still going to post stuff like this.

EatSleepBreaktheSTREAK site profile image

4/12/14 3:00 PM by EatSleepBreaktheSTREAK

Hes going to retire again?

Samoa site profile image

4/12/14 2:53 PM by Samoa

Funny bit to that night:  His girl asked what a Janitor was (it was developing as his nickname) and when she found out...............she didn't like the nickname.

Samoa site profile image

4/12/14 2:52 PM by Samoa

I thought I'd dig deep into the WAYback machine and post some pics of Vladdy in his younger days.  I got to cover this event for Full Contact Fighter.............these were the Good Old Days of NHB.  Weird rules.  Jerry Bohlander was the ref.  Bob Cook had what I still believe is the quickest KO in MMA history (bell rang, dude literally sprinted across the ring at Bob and Bob landed one huge overhand open-palm strike, dude is out) and Frank Shamrock was there with the entire Lion's Den team.  Vladdy beat the piss out of Gracie Torrance rep Joe Pardo. Sorry the pictures are so humongous, my coconut brain doesn't do resizing:

Samoa site profile image

4/12/14 2:33 PM by Samoa

TTT Respect for Vladdy

Nexuscrawlers site profile image

4/7/14 2:22 PM by Nexuscrawlers

TTT

FaQ2 site profile image

4/6/14 9:27 PM by FaQ2

Who's Nexy Friday? Never heard of him. Hopefully vlad retires his ass tho. War janitor

CHiLLEN site profile image

4/6/14 9:22 PM by CHiLLEN

A true bad ass. I've been a big fan from the start. All the best in your last fight, and good luck with the nexy chapter in your life.

crowbar site profile image

4/6/14 6:25 PM by crowbar

He was posting on here quite regularly awhile back.

hooha site profile image

4/6/14 6:03 PM by hooha

thanks for this. Love to hear great fighters talking about other great fighters!great to see all the Matyushenko love - let's keep it going everyone so we can show the love!!

MMA clothing and gear