Cruz would still receive immediate title fight, if he wants it

Before an injury, Dominick Cruz was the undisputed UFC bantamweight champion. That was three years ago. Now champion Renan Barao has defended his belt three times and no unification bout is in sight. However, should Cruz finally be able to return to action, UFC President Dana White has said he would still be offered a title fight:

“I, literally, have heard nothing from Dominick Cruz,” White stated. “I don’t know what’s going on with him. And I don’t think after this much of a layoff it would be right to throw him in there for [an immediate title shot], unless he wants it.

“He was the champ before all this stuff happened to him, and if he wanted to come right back and fight [Barao], then yeah, I’d do it. But Barao is one of those guys – man, I just think Barao is so nasty. I’d fight somebody else. If it was me, personally.”

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

tags: Dominick Cruz (detail)

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever site profile image

4/20/14 2:49 PM by ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

This. I do believe that if dom wants to continue his career he will take a warm up fight first. Let's be honest, fighting barro after a 2 year layoff is just a terrible gameplan, and it is something that might end his career.

CowboysStuntDouble site profile image

4/20/14 2:08 PM by CowboysStuntDouble

Warm up fight is the way to go here

Libero21 site profile image

4/20/14 1:17 PM by Libero21

Yeah but chances are she would lose and then there is no huge ppv. They are only signing Gina for a particular fight. I bet she signs a 1 or 2 fight contract which includes the first fight being a title fight.

HavoKStaaL site profile image

4/20/14 1:07 PM by HavoKStaaL

I know it's only a money fight, just annoying to me lolWould be more fun to watch Carano fight atleast once before a title shot and not just do a one and done

UGCTT_Benwahwah site profile image

4/20/14 1:06 PM by UGCTT_Benwahwah

Sensible comment from Dana if you ask me. It makes sense for Cruz to have a warm up fight first, but if he wants a title fight straight away then as the outgoing champ due to injury he deserves it.

Libero21 site profile image

4/20/14 1:00 PM by Libero21

Gina vs Ronda is a money fight, everyone knows Ronda will win without a fluke. However Cruz would be Barao's toughest challenge, but only if he's 100% because he's had such significant injuries. Cruz deserves to have the choice for a warm up fight because he can't afford to have ring rust against Barao.

HavoKStaaL site profile image

4/20/14 12:49 PM by HavoKStaaL

"And I don’t think after this much of a layoff it would be right to throw him in there for [an immediate title shot"Yet Gina Carano should get an immediate title shot? Okay.

BeauTown site profile image

4/20/14 12:47 PM by BeauTown

If I was cruz I'd probly want a warm up fight before barao just to get rid if ring rust!

Rory MacRonald site profile image

4/20/14 12:05 PM by Rory MacRonald

Stoopid

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear