Jon Jones jeers Liddell, Davis, and fans concerned about his eye pokes

Prior to the UFC 172 main event, UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell said repeatedly that Glover Teixeira would win it, and that in his prime, he would have beaten Jones too.

"I think I would have been a horrible matchup for him," said Liddell. "I would have walked through his punches and he wouldn’t have caught me with anything… I would have found a way to hit him, and I hit too hard."

Liddell's friend and former trainer John Hackleman is the long-time trainer of Glover Teixeira.

The day after the fight, Jones took to Instagram, and rubbed it in.

jonnybones
Talking all that trash before the fight.. you mad bro?

Phil Davis kept up a steady stream of trash talk prior to his fight with Anthony Johnson at UFC 172, but it was directed at Jones.

"He's the champ, and he needs to learn that I soon will be the champ," said Davis. "So he should probably just either just give it to me, which would be the easiest thing, or he could fight me and he could give it to me that way. Probably the easier way would be to just give it up, just walk over here and say, 'You know what? Honestly, I’m scared. I’m just going to give you the belt.'"

"If Jones got beat, that’s just proof that he’s a chicken and he lost to Glover so he didn’t have to fight me next."

Jones didn't get beat, he won. The guy who got beat was Davis.

For Davis, Jones let video do the talking.

By contrast, Anthony Johnson actually took to his social network, and defended Davis. Via Facebook.
Was in twitter earlier and saw so called fans of Phil bashing him saying "You let me down" imo that's wrong and you aren't a true fan. Either love the sport or don't or support a fighter thru thick and thin or not. He didn't let you down you weren't taking the punishment.

During the fight Jones used an open handed pawing style that a series of opponents have complained can lead to eye injury.

Fans even put together an eye poke highlight video.

UFC president Dana White addressed the issue in a post UFC 172 interview.

"We gotta stop that stuff," said White. "The opening of the hands and putting the hands on the face. It's something bad, but you know, it happens with guys who have reach."

Jones later posted a video on Instagram mocking fan concern.

Jon Jones has an unusual manner on social networks. The UFC light heavyweight champion regularly posts messages that even a short period of reflection reveals to be not in his best interests, and he deletes them. He left up the first two above, and quickly deleted the third.

The two he left will doubtless strike some fans as amusing and deserved, while others will find them petty and mean spirited, believing that sometimes the best revenge is simply being the best in the world.

That Jones deleted the video mocking fans speaks for itself.

Jon Jones has the expressed goal of becoming the greatest fighter of all time. But greatness extends beyond technical ability and into character. If Jon Jones aspires to true greatness, the first and presumably simplest thing he can do is stop posting weird stuff on Instagram that he then has to delete. Or, if he wants to be a heel, be a heel; but heels don't remove offensive messages on the regular, they revel in them.

What Jon Jones is doing right now doesn't look like greatness. It is further evidence that the only thing that can stop Jon Jones is Jon Jones, and maybe he is.

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

tags: UFC 172   Jon Jones (detail)  Chuckk Liddell

cecils_pupils site profile image

5/1/14 7:35 PM by cecils_pupils

tir for tat I'm good like that

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick site profile image

5/1/14 6:36 PM by JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick

First Bisping now Jon what's wrong with me?

DoomFarmer site profile image

5/1/14 6:26 PM by DoomFarmer

It's so noble of you to go tit for tat.

MrHughes1991 site profile image

5/1/14 6:23 PM by MrHughes1991

The Phil Davis one was perfectly fine in my eyes lol. Liddell is such a legend though, doesn't seem like the best idea to talk shit about him or rub it in like that lol. Chuck is still a fighter at heart and of course he thinks he could beat jones just like jones thinks he could beat Liddell haha. But yeah Jones does a lot of shit that seems to contradict the image he tries to put out there

DirtyLickinsBrah site profile image

5/1/14 5:09 PM by DirtyLickinsBrah

^^problem with that is many hate him for acting humble because they view it as "fake"Now hes being hated for acting immature.The true haters are the ones who hate him for both reasons.

Morgz site profile image

5/1/14 1:58 PM by Morgz

Fair enough.  I appreciate the clarification.  Maybe I'm wrong for making that assumption, but that was the way I had read your post.  Since I fall into the catagory of those who "do not like Jon Jones" (at least, currently), I took your post as being directed at me.  I understand there may be some that are haters, but many of us just dislike the way he is acting, and wish he would act a bit more maturely.  But again, no hate for a lot of us.

cecils_pupils site profile image

5/1/14 8:03 AM by cecils_pupils

Actually, yes he does beat both Cormier and Johnson, and he also beats Gus a second time, and anyone else they line up.  Haters gonna hate. Just sayin.

ruger007 site profile image

4/30/14 11:43 PM by ruger007

He doesn't beat both Cormier and Johnson.With eye pokes.Just saying.

GIBB0 site profile image

4/30/14 11:32 PM by GIBB0

A little bit, but not really.I'm laughing at how silly the whole thing is. I'm not making any personal attack or judgements.I'm not saying these people making posts will never be great people or saying anything nasty. I'm just pointing out the irony.

cecils_pupils site profile image

4/30/14 11:08 PM by cecils_pupils

Lazer, in general I like you, you are a good poster with a good sense of humor, but I completely disagree with your view about Jones and the eye pokes.  Sure, he extends his hand in every fight, uses it to find his range and visually distract his opponent.  But the eye pokes are not intentional.  I believe he needs to change that part of his game. Somehow your negative view of him is clouding your otherwise good judgement.  It is clear you are not a fan of his, and that's cool, but don't let that could your usual good judgement on a fighter.  Jones is not a dirty fighter, so hopefully you will let go of your anger on this issue, eventually.