Noted boxing coach: Cain could be boxing champ in 2 or 3 years

Noted boxing trainer Robert Garcia has worked with Antonio Margarito, Kelly Pavlik, Fernando Vargas and Brandon Rios, and Floyd Mayweather's next opponent Marcos Maidana. He recently worked with Cain Velasquez, and says he has what it takes to become a champion in boxing.

“There’s a local gym here in Oxnard, and I have had some of the guys come in and do standup with us,” said Garcia. “One of the guys that came in for a few days that was training with me that we were really excited to have was Cain Velasquez. He was here for three days and worked with me and everything.”

“I think this guy is not only great at what he does but he could also be a great boxer, because he’s got tremendous power. When I hold the mits with Cain Velasquez, right away I told his people that brought him, I said, ‘What do you guys think about training for boxing, because this guy could make a lot of noise in professional boxing?’ He’s got skills and tremendous power. He’s got good boxing skills.

“I think a good trainer could teach him how to fight, build up a good record in two or three years and become a champion. I honestly believe so.”

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: video   UFC   Cain Velasquez (detail)

Bobby Lupo site profile image

5/2/14 4:27 PM by Bobby Lupo

I don't think he'd win the NYC open division Golden Gloves

Glovegate site profile image

5/2/14 4:21 PM by Glovegate

Champion's clause, brah. Unless he wants to leave on a loss, he ain't leaving.

TampabayMMA site profile image

5/2/14 3:47 PM by TampabayMMA

Could Cain even make the US olympic boxing team, let alone win a pro title, obviously no. Its just stupid to think otherwise.

dhughes site profile image

5/2/14 9:03 AM by dhughes

I don't think 3 years of MMA training would've helped Toney much against Randy - besides the fact that Toney would never train MMA for 3 years, anyway. And I don't think that Cain could start training full-time boxing and get anywhere near a legitimate contender at this point in time.

CiganoBoxer site profile image

5/2/14 8:55 AM by CiganoBoxer

So what your saying is then ,that in the two fights that Cain dominated JDS he never used wrestling and won a pure boxing mma fight ? What planet are you on ? ,Cain even said himself out of his own mouth after that his game plan was mixing it up an using his wrestling with strikes an not let JDS have any long range to use his boxing like he did in their first fight ...negating Juniors strength of long range boxing by getting on him,clinching wrestling is what was the advantage for Cain...not standing there in range duking it out .Anyone that thinks Cain won by out boxing JDS is ether a nut hugger or Troll ...wich one are u ? I am boxer so i like the way JDS fights with long range boxing for mma,so forgive me for that :)Also I have no problem with Cain winning the last 2 fights , he did so fair and square and by doing what he does better than JDS ...mixing it up .

CapnKindBud site profile image

5/2/14 6:40 AM by CapnKindBud

Watch the fight. Cain is much better defensively boxing than JDS. Junior barely ever even hit Cain in those two fights and when he did, Cain blasted him harder.What do you think boxing is ? And I do know a bit about the sport. Not saying I was or am a boxer but I did have a close friend who fought for the Kronk boxing team and I was there a lot . I've seen GREAT boxers fight a lot. Cain is a far better boxer. And you are a giant JDS fan which I understand.You couldn't believe it when Cain beat the brakes off of him the first time and you thought it was a fluke or something was wrong with JDS and all that shit. Then you watch it happen again and you just can't imagine it but he got outstruck again.I understand but damn look at his face. Those aren't wrestling marks.

CapnKindBud site profile image

5/2/14 6:34 AM by CapnKindBud

Do you think that James Toney in his prime with 3 years of high level ground training would have been beaten that easily by Randy?Probably not. And that's what he is saying .If Cain were to train as hard as he does in mma AND if he had top trainers, he could be a champion. That isn't a stretch like Toney and Randy.2 or 3 years is a long time for a world class fighter to pick up knowledge and skills.

Bobby Lupo site profile image

5/2/14 5:43 AM by Bobby Lupo

by murder. Wilder is a Bronze medalist who has KTFO 30 straight opponents. Cain hasn't even boxed competively for 30 seconds.  He's already in his 30s. He so behind the learning curve, it's insane. If he started boxing 15 years ago, who knows. Boxing trainers lie more than politicians.

CiganoBoxer site profile image

5/2/14 4:36 AM by CiganoBoxer

You been watching the sport how long and you actual think Cain Outboxed JDS ? Rather than risk what happened in the first fight Cain did not out box JDS on his feet in the two fights he beat him ,Cain was much more clever , used his wrestling an mixed in strikes with countless takedowns rather then play in to JDSs strength and have a boxing type fight with him ,thats very different then boxing his ears off don't you think ??

Strykr619 site profile image

5/2/14 3:48 AM by Strykr619

LOL at Garcia, fuck that puto for turning my man into a pos fighter (Donaire). 3 solid years, Cain may have potential (but LOL not if Garcia is training him).