Melendez: I can walk right through Pettis' kicks

Anthony Pettis is the most effective and dynamic striker in the UFC's lightweight division and it's what got him to be a world champion. That and world class jiu-jitsu.

Next opponent Gilbert Melendez believes he has the tools to defeat Pettis and isn't worried about any of his striking, kicks included:

“His striking and his kicks and his creativity is awesome, but it’s nothing I fear at all,” Melendez said. “I feel quite confident in this matchup. I feel like stylistically, this is a matchup I’ve been wanting for a long time.

“I think he’s a great guy and creative, but I’m not scared of those kicks at all. I feel I can walk right through them, to be honest. He’s good at what he does, but I think I’m better in a bunch of different dimensions.”

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony \

Headrush UFC 164 Anthony "Showtime" Pettis Walkout Shirt

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

yomamafool site profile image

5/8/14 3:58 PM by yomamafool

he can walk through a liver shot?

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

5/8/14 3:36 PM by Zed Wayne Zed

I think Pettis is way too fast for Gil, but that's just me.Guida showed you can nullify his game if you avoid the big ones and keep him down.Pettis is legit. scary in there, and no one in that division is walking through those hellish kicks.Pettis stays champ.

DoomFarmer site profile image

5/8/14 2:44 PM by DoomFarmer

Squeezie, are you in or out?

Malvert the Janitor site profile image

5/7/14 4:19 PM by Malvert the Janitor

Your logic is strong.Voted up.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

5/7/14 4:12 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Lol god I hope not. The injuries in the UFC for the past few years have been ridiculous. What percentage of fights or cards have had one or more replacement fights? Would be cool to see the numbers on that.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

5/7/14 4:08 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Well he is the champ, but it's definitely annoying when for the past year, all we've seen is him talk and not fight.

UncommonSense site profile image

5/7/14 4:00 PM by UncommonSense

Part of my stance comes from the fact that his fights are all 5-rounds now. So I do think Gil and some others may be able to get 2 rounds off Anthony through takedowns. But can they do it for 3? And then, can they keep from getting exhausted and survive the next 2 rounds with Pettis trying to kick your head into the cheap seats. Seems like a tall order

UncommonSense site profile image

5/7/14 3:55 PM by UncommonSense

With such close fights with Henderson and Thompson, I dont think Gil can win a 5-rounder against Anthony. I definately understand the argument. And his transitions are great, as you guys have said. But Pettis did well against Henderson in their first meeting, either by stuffing takedowns or having an extremely active guard, and we saw what happened in the second fight. I could definitely be wrong, but I think Anthony is head and shoulders above anyone at 155. I'm guessing a ton of his focus is on TDD nowadays, especially after the Guida fight. And that, being 3 years ago, gave him a ton of time to improve on it. He knows nobody can strike with him. And his guard is great, even if he does get taken down. No signs of bad cardio. I think this kid is gonna be on top for a LONG time. Khabib is his worst matchup I think. But I think i'd take Gil over Khabib because i'd think his wrestling is just good enough to stuff takedowns and maybe he out boxes khabib. Interesting matchups though

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

5/7/14 3:18 PM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

Lol..I agree. It was just one of those things said to build the fight or to get Anthony thinking. And you nailed Gil's biggest strength. His boxing to wrestling/defensive wrestling transitions are something to marvel at.

Ozzabong site profile image

5/7/14 3:10 PM by Ozzabong

What about if their at your face

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!