Matt Brown defeats Erick Silva in incredible fight of the night

The UFC Fight Night 45 main event featured a welterweight match up between Matt Brown and Erick Silva with the winner moving that much closer to a title fight.

Heading into UFC Fight Night 40, many questioned what Matt Brown stood to gain by fighting a guy underneath him in the welterweight pecking order in Erick Silva.

Saturday night, Brown had the answer. Fighting in his hometown of Cincinnati, Brown and Silva had an instant candidate for Fight of the Year.

In a barnburner of a brawl, Brown (19-11) withstood a fast start by Silva, turned the tide, and then finally put away the tough Brazilian at 2:11 of the third round.

It was the seventh consecutive win for the veteran Brown, the longest active win streak at 170 pounds in the UFC.

Erick Silva Vs. Matt Brown
Fight was scheduled for 5 rounds (5x5x5x5x5)
Name Erick Silva <a href=Erick Silva" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=40&q=75&x=59&y=0&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=erik-silva.png" />
Height 5′ 11″ (180.34 cm)
Weight 170 (77.11 kg)
Record 11-4-0
Team
VS
Name Matt Brown Matt Brown
Height 6′ 0″ (182.88 cm)
Weight 170 (77.11 kg)
Record 18-11-0
Team Team Jorge Gurgel

-Matt Brown defeated Erick Silva by TKO (Ref Stoppage, Round 3, 2:11)

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

tags: Erick Silva (detail)  UFC Fight Night 45   UFN 45   video

yellow wrkahlc is dead site profile image

5/11/14 10:50 PM by yellow wrkahlc is dead

That's why I said I bet it stings...knowing it almost happened...

boneskodaiceman site profile image

5/11/14 10:24 PM by boneskodaiceman

I can't figure out how a fighter can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? He had Brown nearly out from those kicks to the liver, and didn't force him to stand back up to finish the job.

dabigguy site profile image

5/11/14 4:18 PM by dabigguy

AWdub, "For real. As I was telling friends during the fight I've never been a brown fan since he lost 4 in a row. The guy is beasting everyone he fights. Tonight he not only showed heart but he dominated at the same time (weird I know). I'm a fan forever now. Don't know what else to say. I've tried to hate him. Cant. The guy is the average joes fighter."I agree that hes a beast, he needs to fight a top 5 or even 10 to totally prove himself. Twice now he's shown he can't take body shots. Jordan Meins hurt him and didn't pursue him in time and Silva did too. I liked Matt a while back (I respect his ability) but when he opens his mouth and the Diaz type garbage rolls outa his mouth I just get irritated. #cantdealwithdumb

VanGo site profile image

5/11/14 12:58 PM by VanGo

You're right, I shouldn't have fed the troll. I'll remember to ignore simpletons like you and him in the future.

672 site profile image

5/11/14 12:47 PM by 672

Wow looked like old skool war!Kept me past my bedtime I'm retired and I was also standing saying WTF this sin't the NORM!THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL ALIVE AT 2AM LOL

Wasa-B site profile image

5/11/14 11:23 AM by Wasa-B

Nearly happened though

chaplinshouse site profile image

5/11/14 9:40 AM by chaplinshouse

^strikes can severly affect cardio as well.

xtrordinaire site profile image

5/11/14 9:06 AM by xtrordinaire

Vote up cause I was upset last night cause I lost 500 dollars I bet on Silva..your response to my post was pretty awesome, you handled it like a boss. I still fill silva really needs to step his game up tho cause he has so much fukn potential. Since the first time I seen him fight I thought he was gonna b a star

ClearwaterFLMMA site profile image

5/11/14 8:59 AM by ClearwaterFLMMA

For me, one of the best fights ive seen in a long time. The first round was the most exciting round ive seen that's for sure!Imagine if this fight was in Bellator! All of these haters would be gargling on their balls.

chaplinshouse site profile image

5/11/14 8:07 AM by chaplinshouse

i turned 100 bucks into 200 thanks to Mr Brown! as if that fight needed the added excitment