Ortiz triumphant in return, chokes Shlemenko unconscious

Tonight's Bellator PPV marked the return to MMA of former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz as he battled Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko.

For one night at least, the clock turned back for Tito Ortiz.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion tore down the house at Bellator 120 with a quick submission victory over Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko in Ortiz's first bout in nearly two years. Referee John McCarthy waved off the fight at 2:27 of the first round.

After the bout, a fired-up Ortiz (17-11-1) took on his detractors.

Alexander Shlemenko Vs. Tito "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Ortiz
Fight was scheduled for 3 rounds (5x5x5)
Name Alexander Shlemenko Alexander Shlemenko
Height 5′ 9″ (175.26 cm)
Weight 185 (83.91 kg)
Record 49-7-0
Team
VS
Name Tito Ortiz <a href=Tito Ortiz" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=60&q=75&x=49&y=-2&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=90DD62B3-1D09-6BFC-E506166029B4A044.jpg" />
Height 6′ 2″ (187.96 cm)
Weight 205 (92.99 kg)
Record 16-11-1
Team Team Punishment

-Tito Ortiz defeated Alexander Shlemenko by Technical Submission (Choked Unconscious, Round 1, 2:27)

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

Punishment Athletics Air Tito Shirt

Punishment Athletics Air Tito Shirt

jbbarne site profile image

5/19/14 1:35 PM by jbbarne

Anyone catch the pre-fight interview? "If the submission is there, I'll choke him out" - Tito. Makes more sense to say "make him tap".Then the rumors of someone taking a dive, and the talking in his ear...I don't believe it was a work, but I can't say I blame the tinfoil hats this time.

The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD site profile image

5/19/14 7:41 AM by The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD

Fedor?

MoBeffah site profile image

5/19/14 5:15 AM by MoBeffah

Very cool. VU tomorrow.

Chitownjohn23 site profile image

5/18/14 1:28 PM by Chitownjohn23

So, their golden boy michael chandler drops out of the top 20 LW's.Their MW champ can only strike.Their LHW champ can't get a fight.Their HW champ....no clue who it is.

Glamo site profile image

5/18/14 1:14 PM by Glamo

http://youtu.be/E4KKUJQqik0 8 yrs later and he still has zero ground game defending the same choke

Glamo site profile image

5/18/14 11:56 AM by Glamo

I've watched it a few times now.... I'm not sure if he was talking shit or asking him if he was ready.... strange fight......

Ryan Black site profile image

5/18/14 11:30 AM by Ryan Black

I have seen Shlemenko fight many times on his way-up the ranks in Bellator... and I was expecting to see a lot more from him, also. From what I've seen of his fighting style, I saw it as an intriguing and potentially difficult match-up for a guy in Tito's position. I wasn't surprised to see how slow he made Tito look- but, at the end of the night, Tito's lumbering size & strength over his opponent certainly seemed to play a factor in Shlemenko's defeat. A guy that much bigger, that much stronger, secures a choke on you, and cinches it in with perfection... there was very little chance of Shlemenko escaping that once Tito locked-on, in my opinion.Congrats to Tito on his victory, but I don't hold Shlemenko's defeat against him, really. The dude is fun to watch every time he gets in there, he's passionate, and he seems a consummate professional. I respect the man, and hope to see him back in there, crushing contenders in his division soon.

John Nic site profile image

5/18/14 10:27 AM by John Nic

I never saw emelenko fight before but I was expecting a little more from a guy who had 50 wins

RJJH site profile image

5/18/14 10:15 AM by RJJH

this! I will always be a fan of Tito. regardless of his mic skills and occational excuses.

AustintheWolfe site profile image

5/18/14 10:01 AM by AustintheWolfe

Fighters talk to each other in clinches and stuff alot in the UFC... MUST ALL BE WORKS!

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!