Varner suffers broken bones, torn ligaments

Jamie Varner ‏@jamievarner
Two fractured bones and torn ligaments! I have to see a specialist next week. Thanks for the support!

Jamie Varner vs. James Krause opened the PPV portion of UFC 173. The fight answered the ancient question of what a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest looks like. The answer is he looks amazingly courageous.

Varner checked a right low kick, and from there on, his left foot could not support any weight, turning horribly and dropping him to the mat. Adding injury to injury, Krause wisely targeted the lower leg with further kicks.

“One of the things we worked on was kicking the calfs,” said Krause after the fight, as transcribed by MMAJunkie. “I threw one and Jamie lifted his knee to check it. I felt the contact with his ankle and when he stepped back I saw that he had injured it. After that, I started to target the ankle and unfortunately he wasn’t able to answer the second round. You never want to see an opponent get hurt out there, but I especially didn’t want to see Varner get injured. I’m a big fan and I looked up to him. I know that we could’ve given the fans a great three-round fight if we had the opportunity. Hat’s off to him, and I wish him a full and speedy recovery.”

Referee Jason Herzog has been faulted for not stopping the fight. In the official's defense, despite a non-functioning ankle, Varner kept the fight exciting, landing some hard shots, surviving even harder shots, escaping multiple choke attempts, and even ending up cross side at one point.

However, at the close of the first, Varner was unable to rise off the floor, and informed his corner, who agreed that the fight could not continue, and informed the ref. Adding to the air of unreality around a man fighting for most of a round with one leg, the doctor stepped on his foot.

UFC president Dana White reacted on Twitter.

Dana White @danawhite
•How tough is Jamie Varner!!!!
•Jamie's leg is broken. Such a Bad Ass!!!!

White expanded on the remarks during the post fight press conference.

“Usually guys quit,” said White as transcribed by MMAJunkie. “Guys will tap out and say, ‘I broke my ankle. I’m laid out.’ But there was no quit in that kid.

“So that’s one of those situations where he kept going. I don’t know. That’s a tough [decision to make]. But, by the end of that round, he was done.”

“If that was my guy, I would have thrown the towel in in a second."

“There are times when you see somebody just taking unbelievable damage. Jamie Varner sucked it up. He had a broken leg, which had to be unbelievably painful, and he just – I can’t say enough about the kid… Varner’s all heart.”

This is the third loss in a row for Varner, but his losing effort was so gallant it is highly unlikely that he is released by the UFC.

With the win, Krause moves to 2-1 in the UFC.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

Zeph site profile image

5/26/14 5:03 PM by Zeph

He isn't storming the beaches at Normandy. This is a sporting event where he earns money. By carrying on through that clear injury he jeopardized his whole career.

Diesel67 site profile image

5/26/14 4:47 PM by Diesel67

Guy went out on his shield like the warrior he is, and his corner let him.  Hard call for a corner to make either way.  Don't surrender when you have the means to resist, and the only time you don't have the means to resist is when you are dead - US Marine Corps Props to Krause for persistence in attacking the injured leg.  The octagon is not the place for mercy.

jayduane site profile image

5/26/14 2:46 PM by jayduane

Hope UFC cuts him a break!

Letibleu site profile image

5/26/14 12:01 PM by Letibleu

Yeah, throwing in the towel can actually lead to a point deduction or DQ.   I think the towel is recognized as a surrender even though it is not written into the set of rules. It is an unwritten rule like having to "beat the champion"

Einar site profile image

5/26/14 11:21 AM by Einar

He means that under the rules, throwing in the towel is listed as a foul. But thats kind of the point isnt it? By throwing in the towel, you are disqualifying your own fighter, which is excactly what you're going for. At least thats how I interpret that rule.

GarlicSenior site profile image

5/26/14 10:59 AM by GarlicSenior

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It has happened before, just not nearly as much as it should. Sylvia vs Cabbage comes to mind as well as Diaz vs Thompson

rumble_fish site profile image

5/26/14 5:51 AM by rumble_fish

you'd think all that hopping around he did on that fractured bone would've broke some skin or something.. fight was hard to watch, jamie varner just doesn't give a fuck. dude's game as they come.

Musashi site profile image

5/26/14 1:49 AM by Musashi

They're not allowed.

GarlicSenior site profile image

5/26/14 1:35 AM by GarlicSenior

A lot of that is on the corner as well. If you see your fighter is hurt to the point they can't even stand you should know to throw in the towel. It was completely unnecessary for them to let that fight go on when it was clear his leg was that injured.

CaptChaos site profile image

5/26/14 12:21 AM by CaptChaos

Not only did his ankle keep giving out but it kept rolling and twisting... He probably didn't feel too much because of the adrenaline but once round 1 was over the pain probably started to settle in.Torn ligaments in the ankle/foot area can be worse than breaking bones. They connect bone to bone, don't stretch well, and are short in length. This could be a nagging injury for the rest of his life mma or not. also think he could have won the fight...Varner is fun to watch. He's solid!

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!