Lombard: Brown is an undeserving, average fighter

Matt Brown is currently ranked as the #5 welterweight in the UFC. Hector Lombard is #6. But in an interview with Submission Radio, Lombard said Brown is nothing special.

"I'm mostly disappointed about how much hype Matt Brown has," said Lombard as transcribed by MMAMania. "I mean, he's been fighting guys that, he never fought a top 10 guy. That's one.

"And who is Erick Silva? I mean like, that's ridiculous. I would like to fight this guy one day, and I'll prove a point. He has to go and fight a top 10 guy and go from there, because when you fight a guy like Erick Silva anybody can look good. I'd beat Erick Silva even better, even easier.

"You know it's something that is out of my control. But once again, I believe Matt Brown doesn't deserve none of that. I believe Matt Brown is just an average fighter.

"And, you know like, even Kim for example. Kim beat Matt Brown and he's behind. Actually Kim beat Matt Brown and he beat Erick Silva. He knocked him out, in Brazil, in his home town. So Kim is four times better than Matt Brown and four times better than Erick Silva and he is behind on the table, like when you're on the ranks. He's behind Matt Brown, when he beat Matt Brown. How's this guy supposed to feel?

"How am I supposed to feel when I beat two former Strikeforce champs? It doesn't make sense. He never beat any Strikeforce champions, he never beat any top 10 guys and he has all the hype. That's not very understandable. I don't understand that at all."

Robbie Lawler fights Matt Brown at San Jose at UFC on FOX 12 in July, with the winner getting a title shot at Johny Hendricks when he recovers from bicep surgery.

Hector Lombard fights #9 ranked Dong Hyun Kim at a UFC Fight Night in Macau on Aug. 23. Tyron Woodley fights Rory MacDonald fights at UFC 174 in Vancouver, BC on June 14th.

The winner of Woodley vs. MacDonald may get a title shot at the winner of Hendricks vs.  Brown/Lawler, or maybe the the winner of Woodley vs. MacDonald gets the winner of Lombard vs. Kim, with the winner of that going on to a title shot.

In either case, Lombard is a ways off a title shot.

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

dermotfix site profile image

5/30/14 10:58 AM by dermotfix

I think Lombard should be less concerned with why Brown is close to a title shot and more concerned with why he is not

KING Stannis Baratheon site profile image

5/30/14 5:07 AM by KING Stannis Baratheon

I agree with most points you make but the calibre of the guys you say Lombard has been hand fed are well above the cans Brown has faced. In fact every guy Lombard has faced in the UFC would destroy Brown if it weren't for the weight classes.So for that reason I think Lombard is justified in making his very valid comment.We'll find out in July, and then again when/if Hector gets his hands on Brown.

Arlovskis Chin site profile image

5/30/14 5:04 AM by Arlovskis Chin

His longest win streak is 2.

KING Stannis Baratheon site profile image

5/30/14 4:54 AM by KING Stannis Baratheon

It's great man.. Top job that pays awesome, own my own house with a couple hundred thousand in the bank and travel internationally every year.

Musashi site profile image

5/29/14 7:59 PM by Musashi

" I believe Matt Brown doesn't deserve none of that."That's a double negative, Hector. You know what THAT means...

Bossk site profile image

5/29/14 7:57 PM by Bossk

I'm trying to understand the difference, I said "has he improved more" as in has he actually improved more than Kim. Which I don't think he has, Kim has added more to his arsenal. Just because Matt Brown isn't getting beat by the Baczynski's of the division anymore doesn't mean he has improved more than Kim. Also I would say that Kim dispatched Silva in more convincing and devastating fashion, he also did it faster.

beastrosoup site profile image

5/29/14 7:18 PM by beastrosoup

Lets get it on

orcus site profile image

5/29/14 7:05 PM by orcus

"I'm not arguing that Brown has improved.. I'm arguing the comment you made that he's improved way more than Kim."Well that's how it sounded when you quoted a guy who said "has he improved more or just looked better? It's not hard to look good against those guys" and you followed up with "This."Kim has not beaten any better guys than Brown has, and he has not looked as good doing it.

DoomFarmer site profile image

5/29/14 6:17 PM by DoomFarmer

I have to respectfully decline on the bet offer as far as Lawler is concerned. I don't like that fight for Brown, though I am still rooting for him and am excited for it. But to my original point...I stopped looking at the rankings picture long ago. I'm a bit befuddled that people are still pretending they really mean anything now.Brown has earned this supposed "hype" and "push" by putting on some of the best fights the UFC had in the past 2 years.Zuffa has not influenced me one bit in this regard. I'm to the point where I only follow fighters that I enjoy watching and Matt Brown has consistently impressed me with his grit and tenacity.A 7 fight winning streak of exciting fights, most with brutal finishes no less, is nothing to shake a dick at.Lombard knows a little something about that, he made his name doing it in that other 2 bit promotion, but now he scoffs at Brown's "hype"?I'm a huge Lombard fan but he should probably scale back his talk a bit. The guy got handed a very winnable fight on a silver platter in Boat-ch, promised to win in a "beautiful fashion" and shit the bed right out of the gate. ( I still feel like he actually won that fight but he could have KO'd Tim in the first round had he just fought aggressively.) They then had to hand him a tailor made stylistic matchup in Paul Harris just so he wouldn't be seen as a bust.They did the same with Marquardt after he underwhelmed again against Okami.They have given Lombard a couple of freebies just to keep his "hype" going, and that is just the damn truth of the matter.

PeaceThroughStrength site profile image

5/29/14 5:58 PM by PeaceThroughStrength

Holy shit you're stupid.What's it like being such a fucking moron?

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!