Munoz signs new four-fight deal with UFC

Earlier this week members of the official rankings media panel were asked to not include Mark Munoz in the middle weight rankings. This made many speculate that Munoz was perhaps released by the UFC, but what had happened was Munoz was simple no longer under contract with the promotion. Today, he signed a new contract:

Normally UFC fighter's sign new contracts with one fight left on their existing contract. However, they can gamble and take their last fight on their contract. The hope being if it's a big win they have more negotiating power, but the flip side if they lose they likely have less power to negotiate. For Munoz, the latter is true as his last fight was a quick loss to Gegard Mousasi.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Rashad Evans Action Figure

tags: Mark Munoz (detail)  Instagram

House Boru site profile image

6/13/14 5:27 AM by House Boru

oh jay-zus i dont even want to know how bad they raped this guy. he def deserves to lose a few thousand for every single time he's said "my donkey kong punches", but hopefully he can pay his bills. idk why but the donkey kong thing gives me douche chills every time

BigTedBear site profile image

6/13/14 3:47 AM by BigTedBear

Got to give Mark credit like somebody else said he has had a tough run with some great opponents.

time traveling 12er site profile image

6/13/14 2:09 AM by time traveling 12er

I wonder if he's on the Akiyama plan. He's on the roster, still get's insurance, but they're really only going to ask him to fight on regional cards or injury replacements. Kind of like a soft retirement for guys they like.

The Last Emperor site profile image

6/13/14 2:06 AM by The Last Emperor

Munoz is good peoples though.

kevsh site profile image

6/12/14 4:49 PM by kevsh

I'm surprised, I thought he might get cut after his last fight. Yeah, he's lost to some of the top guys but he lost very badly (and quickly) to them as well.Not really sure of the logic behind this signing when they're cutting other guys who are no longer contenders. Mark is 35-36 I believe so it's not likely he's going to turn things around and get back in the title picture mix.Anyhow, on a personal level good for him.

AlphaSlap site profile image

6/12/14 4:24 PM by AlphaSlap

I honestly thought that the title read "Munoz signs new four figure deal with UFC"

I Wild Each It site profile image

6/12/14 4:23 PM by I Wild Each It

He has the "motherfuck, I can't believe I'm signing this shit" look.

M Theory site profile image

6/12/14 4:07 PM by M Theory

Awesome. Hope they took care of him. 3 of his last 4 opponents could be the best in the world at 85.

BooZe site profile image

6/12/14 4:05 PM by BooZe

I wonder how much pay deduction he took for the new contract. ..

Damaynevent site profile image

6/12/14 4:05 PM by Damaynevent

I like Munoz, but I honestly feel like he should hang'em up after his last fight. He's a smart dude, he's done well in his analysis role and I've heard he was great wrestling coach. There's is nothing left for him to prove inside the octagon and it's obvious to most that he will never be champ. Strange move by him and the UFC.