MacDonald: I don't want to be a superstar

The crowded field of welterweights in the UFC thinned Saturday night, as Rory MacDonald unanimously beat Tyron Woodley in front of hometown fans. "Ares" can be a difficult personality to get a read on, but at the post fight press conference, he was very clear about what he doesn't want.

“I want them to like me, but I don’t want to be a superstar,” MacDonald told MMAjunkie. “I just like to fight and hopefully I’ll be a dominant champion and represent Canada well.”

“I think this is probably my best performance of my career so far. I’ve got to watch the tape, but the feeling I have right now I’m pretty happy right now. Except closing the fight I didn’t get the finish, but things went well.

“A lot of credit has to go to my coach Firas Zahabi and the Tristar gym. I think I’m falling into a groove and I don’t know, something’s clicking.”

UFC president Dana White said post fight that the winner of Robbie Lawler vs. Matt Brown on July 26 still gets the title shot vs. Johny Hendricks when he returns following surgery for a torn bicep. MacDonald was unconcerned.

“I like to fight," he said. "If I wait a year for a shot, if someone gets injured or maybe they forget about me. I like to fight, so I’ll just continue fighting if I have to wait.”

“I want to be clear that I want that. I just wanted to say I respect the decision of the UFC. There’s two guys ahead of me, but if that fight’s a stinker I’ll be ready.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

xsrg95 site profile image

6/16/14 10:27 PM by xsrg95

he won't be a hit with the casual fans but he does have a whole country backing him so that's a plus.

Mhorad site profile image

6/16/14 10:25 PM by Mhorad

Give up son. You're looking like a fool.Great fighter, and huge potential. Not humble though. "part of the game"???disrespecting your opponent is not part of any game

Entreri site profile image

6/16/14 9:43 PM by Entreri

Reading the UG, most people expected Woodley to dominate and finish Rory early.If anything, Rory is highly underrated. The kid is a star.

TheAxeMurderer84 site profile image

6/16/14 5:15 PM by TheAxeMurderer84

I thought his utterly complete shutdown of tyron was really good. Idk how much more people expect.

boneskodaiceman site profile image

6/16/14 4:58 PM by boneskodaiceman

I am not convinced about Rory yet. I'd still like to see him in another high level fight. For some reason Woodley didn't seem himself and was backpeddling all night. We know that the game plan was to grind Woodley to wear him out, but it wasn't needed.I don't think Rory is that good, and Woodley isn't that bad.

RyannVonDoom site profile image

6/16/14 12:15 PM by RyannVonDoom

Thats good rory.. Since your attitude, molester vibe and lack of killer instinct will definitely help you not be.

beenlurking4years site profile image

6/16/14 12:10 PM by beenlurking4years

TKOed by Condit*

beenlurking4years site profile image

6/16/14 12:08 PM by beenlurking4years

I want finishes. I want risks to be taken and rewarded. I just don't see that from Rory and it makes me sad. The dude is incredibly talented but has never had me on the edge of my seat like BJ or Anderson did. The only top opponent he didn't take to decision in the last four years was when he was TKOed by Conditions. You can praise his skills till the cows come home but his greatest skill seems to be to make great fighters look boiring. That isn't super high on skills I look for in a champion.

KingOfFighters site profile image

6/16/14 10:35 AM by KingOfFighters

Don't worry Rory, with the fighting style and personality of a gnat, you'll never be one.

RokZnaGLASSblackHOUSE site profile image

6/16/14 10:06 AM by RokZnaGLASSblackHOUSE

Condit 2015; Fuck the rest.