Schaub tears up discussing Arlovski fight

Big girls may not cry, but big guys do. There is a strong, unique sense of community in mixed martial arts, and it was on compelling display recently.

On his latest The Fighter and The Kid podcast, UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub emotionally discussed his controversial split decision loss to Andrei Arlovski.

"For me, it's just frustrating, but it's onwards and upwards," he said to co host Bryan Callen, as transcribed by Luke Thomas for MMAFighting. I don't know any different, but to get back to training and just...this is what I do, man. This is what I do. This is it. It went to the judges. I got screwed in a decision. I probably should've done more to make it clear, that's on me.

"That's the sport, man. You're only as good as your last fight. As far as the naysayers and criticism and stuff like that, that's what you sign up. That happens. It's just part of the sport. That doesn't really bother me. When I knocked out Mirko CroCop, I got negative comments. When I beat Lavar Johnson, of course, I get negative comments. When I beat Matt Mitrione and didn't get touched, I got negative comments."

Schaub's voice then began to tremble and he teared up as he discussed connecting with the fans through his and Callen's wildly successful podcast.

"This is serious here," said Schaub. "I'm trying not to get emotional here. I've never got so much love in my life since this fight."

"I put so much into it. In the second round, I was a little tired. I thought I lost the first, I knew I won the second and Rener goes, 'Schaub, you have to win this third. Take him down and win this third.' And I took him down, won that third. I swear on my life, what I thought about was all the support I get from this podcast. I swear to god."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

One&Done site profile image

6/19/14 3:16 PM by One&Done

I don’t mind Schaub but really he’s made his own bed. You don’t tell the world you’re a better striker than Cain Valasquez and Mark Hunt, then go fight AA in a snore fest, leaving it in the judges hands. He’s been crazy inconsistent for such a young, what was an up and coming prospect. I do feel bad for him though, I have to believe being completely dropped from the HW ranking came as a bit of a surprise to him.

AWdub site profile image

6/19/14 1:44 PM by AWdub

Trolling I hope....

Kim Jong Uno site profile image

6/19/14 1:43 PM by Kim Jong Uno

That's exactly how I would describe him, annoying yet brilliant. Seems like a real solid dude though, no homo

DevilsAdvocate site profile image

6/19/14 1:16 PM by DevilsAdvocate

Jesus Christ, you guys went full retard in here.

rkm456 site profile image

6/19/14 3:12 AM by rkm456

Don't feed him. We've had some fine trolls here, but he's not one of them. He's only capable of rustling the jimmies of people who think America being called 'Murica is something of great offense.

BFG9000 site profile image

6/18/14 9:19 PM by BFG9000

callen is insufferable, his obsession with good looking men is really starting to grate

Mike126 site profile image

6/18/14 9:16 PM by Mike126

I think Schaub is going to be champ one day. His state of mind is sick. It'll take some time and in sure there will be another loss or 2 on the way but he'll make it.

Colboyo site profile image

6/18/14 8:52 PM by Colboyo

I want to listen to this podcast one day. I used to think that Callen was annoying, but now I realize that he is annoying and brilliant at the same time.

AssAssassin site profile image

6/18/14 7:53 PM by AssAssassin

No reasonable opinions allowed here! Only harsh judgments operating under the framework of extremism and absolutism are allowed. How dare you leave your opinion open to possibilities and question the nature of the situation. You need to arrive at an unforgiving, overarching and overtly blasé stance. There is no middle ground. You either suck Schaub's dick in unfounded and consummate shame or you wish upon him a horrific, gruesome ending to his career for wasting your precious time.

rapewhistle site profile image

6/18/14 7:47 PM by rapewhistle

is there any reason schuab didnt get past Arlovski guard? was he just playing it safe? too tired? Scared of losing position? im trying to figure it out.. i thought he should have had more confidence in his ground game and gone for it.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!