Rousey: I can beat any woman on Earth in BJJ, gi or no-gi

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey fights Alexis Davis on Jul. 5 at UFC 175 in Las Vegas, Nev.

Rousey of course "don't give a damn about her bad reputation." Davis is simply, well, nice.

Like a honey badger, Rousey don't care, as she explained recently on FOX Sports' The Great MMA Debate with Damon Martin.

"It doesn't change anything for me because I'm not an emotional fighter," said Rousey as translated by David St. Martin for MMAFighting. "I have zero emotion when I go in there and fight. It could be my best friend in the world or it could be my worst enemy. I would fight them the same. I would fight Miesha Tate and Shayna Baszler in exactly the same way. I love Shayna and I can't stand Miesha but emotions have nothing to do with the way I fight. Fighting is absent of emotion for me."

However, what Davis lacks in trash talk, she makes up for in Jiu-Jitsu. Davis holds a black belt under Cesar Gracie, the first BJJ black belt Rousey has fought, creating a compelling BJJ vs. Judo angle.

"It's definitely an interesting new challenge," said Rousey. "One thing that I couldn't stand when I was just watching MMA and coming from Judo was all these people talking about how the Jiu Jitsu people would beat any Judo player. It was such a stereotype that I thought, and still think, that I could beat any girl in the world, any weight division, gi or no-gi, black belt and in any ruleset they want, in just pure Jiu Jitsu.

"I really feel like the Judokas that do excel in Newaza, which is our term for groundwork, have never really gotten enough respect. This fight against Alexis, who is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt and the kind of person I've heard my whole life should be the type to tap me out no problem, would be nice to prove a point against her. Then again, I always have people saying that my striking is terrible and she's a well-noted Muay Thai fighter so any way that I can beat her I think would prove a good point."

tags: UFC 175   Ronda Rousey (detail)  Alexis Davis (detail)

2JupitersTooMany site profile image

4 days ago by 2JupitersTooMany

I guess if Rhonda couldn't submit someone in her own weight class who isn't by any means a BJJ expert, seems shady

MMA Playwright site profile image

4 days ago by MMA Playwright

She is quite confident. I'll give her that.

Herman Munster site profile image

6/28/14 7:39 AM by Herman Munster

Davis wins this.

BigEyedFish site profile image

6/28/14 7:16 AM by BigEyedFish

Well Judoka and footlock proficiency is just not really something that you see.  Regarding Gokor, Im sure he is great at them but that doesnt mean that she is.   I look at it this way - Ronda's thing clearly is clinch to throw to armbar.  We know this because she wins almost every fight in this manner.   Someome like Nicolini is a guard puller and excellent footlocker and we know this because we see her win the majority of her fights (that end in subs) with foot locks.  So thats her thing.   I think in a pure grappling match with BJJ rules, if a great grappler can avoid the clinch and go after footlocks like an expert can, then there will be an advantage there.  If RR was that good with them, we would see her footlocking people.  I dont think Ive seen one clip of her training or fighting where she even demonstrates a footlock.  Im sure she is better at them than say, my secretary.  But she aint better at them than someone like Nicolini.  I bet its not even close.

DirtehSneakehs site profile image

6/28/14 5:10 AM by DirtehSneakehs

I like the inside info on Kyra's private bjj training sessions. Can you tell me what else she does in the gym? it's so interesting that you personally know all these facts about her, and for so long going back 14 years or so!!!!!

DirtehSneakehs site profile image

6/28/14 5:01 AM by DirtehSneakehs

This. came here to bring up this beast of a woman. Seriously doubt Rhonda could beat here, and please dont bring up the fact she couldn't make weight. Rhonda said she could beat ANY WOMAN in the world, not just in her weight class.

Super Duper Man site profile image

6/28/14 12:49 AM by Super Duper Man

No you realized u were wrong. Take the L son

The Sultan site profile image

6/27/14 11:52 PM by The Sultan

Negative. I dismissed everything you stated as non-valid and therefore it didnt warrant a response. If you are argue with an idiot, from a distance people cant tell the difference.

graciesrule site profile image

6/27/14 10:26 PM by graciesrule

So you don't Ronda having trained with Gokor and Gene Lebell since childhood does not know footlocks? Gokor who is Judo BB and Sambo MOS has forgotten more about footlocks than most BJJ black belts will ever know. Sambo was doing footlocks before Helio/Carlos knew what that were, Fadda knew this

Super Duper Man site profile image

6/27/14 1:48 PM by Super Duper Man

I see you couldn't respond to my comment about Ronda never saying she would beat floyd up in a street fight cause she didn't and you feel silly now for saying she did