Sonnen: Biting in soccer doesn't make sense

by Kirik Jenness |

While the most common base in mixed martial arts is wrestling, with BJJ not too far behind, former UFC middleweight, welterweight, lightweight, and featherweight Kenny Florian started off as a soccer player, for the Boston College Eagles.

Florian appeared recently on FOX Sports Live and was asked to comment on the biggest news out the World Cup besides USA>UK - Uruguay's Luis Suarez biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini.

After biting/being bit, as one would expect, both players feigned injury and flopped to the ground.

It was UFC Tonight co-host Chael Sonnen who replied most compellingly, from experience.

"Lets start with what happened on the soccer field," said Sonnen as transcribed by  David St. Martin for MMAFighting. "To bite someone in the course of battle at least somehow makes some kind of sense. To walk up behind a guy and just bite into his shoulder is just a very weird thing to do."

"I've never experienced it in the Octagon, but I have experienced it in wrestling matches. I'll be quite honest, I've been on both sides of it. That's right. I'm very shady."

"Now, they stuck their finger in my mouth. He put his finger in my mouth and was trying to give me the old fishhook, so I gave him just a little, gentle bite to let him know, 'I will chomp on this thing should you not remove your finger.' Shady."

So what do you think UG? Under what circumstances would you bite someone?

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

Punishment Athletics Hexed Shirt

rkm456 site profile image

6/28/14 9:42 PM by rkm456

Will vote up when I can for a really good post. What's funny is soccer people jumped right down my throat without even asking why I wasn't a fan, lol. I don't like soccer because the sport itself has become inherently unsportsmanlike, and it's just disregarded and treated like a cool kids club. "I can't imagine a grown man faking an injury" "Pssh, whatever, you just don't get it bro" To me there's nothing to "get" about a sport that willfully turns a blind eye to players attempting to cheat in the course of play.Would it be acceptable for an MMA fighter to fake being eye poked or getting kicked in the dick because he wanted a break? Of course not. Look at how hater Jon Jones is on this site for being a "dirty fighter", compare him to almost any soccer player and he's a freaking saint.

rkm456 site profile image

6/28/14 9:27 PM by rkm456

It's hugely popular, but no, they aren't good.

rkm456 site profile image

6/28/14 9:25 PM by rkm456

Soccer needs nets, and basketball doesn't require concrete just a firm enough surface to bounce a ball off of. Wrestling also doesn't require mats. Oh, and running still requires 0 equipment. I love the reach though.

rkm456 site profile image

6/28/14 9:21 PM by rkm456

U.S. and China, are the world's athletic super powers. it's not even debatable.Yes, I understand they qualify to get in. More than half the teams who qualify have no chance of winning, again, not debatable.I not suggested football is wall to wall action, but are you honestly going to pretend those guys are running hard for 90 plus minutes? The reason they have stoppage time is because of players wasting time. I do always think it's hilarious that soccer fans immediately make 2 assumptions when someone says they don't like soccer. 1) You're a huge football fan 2) You're American. I'm neither, I'm a sports fan who sees 3 major problems with what could be a great sport that would clean it up drastically. But the sport is dragged down by hipster fans who don't want anyone into their secret club. Introduce stop time, penalizing dives/ fake injuries, and instant replay. Those things wouldn't at all damage the integrity of the game, but would change the way it's played forever and for the better.

burner22 site profile image

6/28/14 7:49 AM by burner22

Pipe down u simpleton. Wrestling requires wrestling mats. Basketball needs a concrete court and a hoop. Ever been to Africa bro? Those things are in short supply

XIII site profile image

6/28/14 3:22 AM by XIII

Do I really have to give examples to show you that you're talking out of your ass?

Shakwon site profile image

6/28/14 3:20 AM by Shakwon

What countries do you consider the 'big athletic powers'?   Also, teams qualify for the World Cup by doing well in the regional tournaments, they aren't just invited at random. It is referred to as the 'World's Game' because there are over 200 countries that are apart of FIFA.   The 75 minutes of watching players in football is referring to the play clock. Of each 15 minute quarter, a majority of that time is the play clock winding down between plays. Each play only typically lasts 5-15 seconds. So most of the actual 'game time' isn't spending running plays, it's spent calling plays, huddling, getting in formation, etc.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

6/28/14 2:41 AM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

I don't know anything about soccer really other than the sport itself. I guess I assumed Brits are good at Soccer. Isn't it popular over there?

Shakwon site profile image

6/28/14 2:25 AM by Shakwon

Exactly. I love football and soccer, it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. For some reason, certain football fans seem to think soccer is trying to steal their thunder or compete against them and get all defensive and have to lash out at the sport of soccer or people who enjoy watching it.   Football players train very specifically for explosive short powerful bursts after which they get lots of rest. It's a completely different type of physical fitness and athleticism than a player that runs 45 minutes straight with no breaks. Midfielders tend to average 9-10 miles of running in one 90 minute game.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!