Swanson: I'm the fastest puncher in the division

On Saturday night Cub Swanson fights Jeremy Stephens and with a win can earn a shot at the UFC featherweight title against champion Jose Aldo. Swanson believes he holds an advantage over Aldo, and every other featherweight fighter:

“I feel like I’m the fastest puncher in the featherweight division, and I’m willing to put it to the test if anyone wants to tell me otherwise,” Swanson said with a smile.

Five years ago, the featherweight kingpin stopped him in eight seconds with a flying double-knee in the now-defunct WEC. Despite the brief and painful result, Swanson said he learned a tremendous amount about physical and mental preparation.

Now, he’s reaping the results. He has beaten five straight UFC opponents, and he wants a second chance. If successful on Saturday at San Antonio’s AT&T Center (on the FOX Sports 1-televised main card), he just might get one.

Aldo is next scheduled to rematch Chad Mendes, whom he knocked out two years ago in his third octagon fight, in August at UFC 176. His next challenger is not yet known.

“I think it would probably be the most anticipated fight in featherweight history,” Swanson said. “I can’t say the outcome, but I’m very confident in my ability.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

TapouT Infant Girls Logo Socks 2-Pack

TapouT Infant Girls Logo Socks 2-Pack

tags: Cub Swanson (detail)

Bay Area site profile image

29 days ago by Bay Area

He technically quoted me and I was saying Frankie is the fastest but at this point I will go ahead and say Aldo is the fastest.I still think Frankie is faster than Cub and probably faster than Mendes but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Arlovskis Chin site profile image

29 days ago by Arlovskis Chin

Creative I agree on. Telegraphed less so. Everyone and their mum knows hendos coming with an inside low kick and an overhand right. Everyone gets hit by it. Cub lunges into a lot of his shots from distance and has longer pull backs on a lot of his shots than most.

Super Duper Man site profile image

6/28/14 12:54 PM by Super Duper Man

Cub said he is the fastest and u just said "frankie imo" so you're pretty much saying frankie is the fastest. Gotta clarify homie

1a1 site profile image

6/28/14 12:00 PM by 1a1

Yea mendes and aldo are clearly faster than edgar. I was actually shocked at how much faster aldo was

CaptChaos site profile image

6/28/14 8:27 AM by CaptChaos

Yeah cub definitely deserves a title shot if her beats Stephens. You could have argued he earned 1 before this fight. Cub has finished 4 of his last 5 opponents.It's amazing that Stephens has fought in the UFC 18 times already and he's still only 28. Match ups make fights and this is a great matchup. Jeremy is dangerous and Cub likes to take chances.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT site profile image

6/27/14 8:57 PM by VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

I didn't say Frankie was the fastest in the division, but I do think he is faster than Cub. But thanks for the put down.

norcal3737 site profile image

6/27/14 8:55 PM by norcal3737

Mendes is 100% bigger than Frankie.

BeatonHauff site profile image

6/27/14 6:50 PM by BeatonHauff

I think Frankie was a bit tentative with his hands because he was worrying about Aldos kicks. It's hard to say with mendes, his striking looks better every fight, I'm not sure he's faster than Frankie. I really hope he beats Aldo though.

Super Duper Man site profile image

6/27/14 6:43 PM by Super Duper Man

And Roy Nelson

Super Duper Man site profile image

6/27/14 6:42 PM by Super Duper Man

Why because i said Aldo has quicker hands than Frankie? It was blatantly obvious when they fought. Mendes also has faster hands then Edgar. Edgar is bigger and stronger than Mendes but ChadIs smaller and quicker