White: 2nd chance for Chael depends on how he handles this

by Kirik Jenness |

UFC president recently spoke with Heidi Fang for MMA Fight Corner and discussed former fighter and commentator Chael Sonnen. "The Gangstger from Oregon" recently retired as a fighter, and was released from his broadcasting contract with the both FOX and the UFC, following the failure of two surprise tests for PEDs.

"What is your stance on everything that has happened with Chael," asked Fang.

A resigned White answered.

"It breaks my heart," he said. "I care about Chael very much. Me and Chael have had a very good relationship. Behind the scenes, he's a great guy.

"And he had four banned substances in his body... The relationship that I have with him, when he took the test, I would expect him to come to me and say 'Hey, listen, I've got some bad news for you.' It sucks."

Fang then inquired about the possibility of a second chance down the line.

"I care about the guy very much, and hopefully... you know, it all depends on how he handles it. America's a very forgiving place for guys who do the right thing. And you see what happens with the guys who dig their heels in and try to battle - it doesn't work out well for them."

(6:00 min mark)

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Dana White   Chael Sonnen (detail)

Gannicus site profile image

7/4/14 6:19 PM by Gannicus

Exactly! VU

Don_Dada site profile image

7/4/14 12:41 PM by Don_Dada

Chael "deserves" nothing. If Zuffa decide to bring him back and put him on TV then that's on them. What Chael has done is 100x worse than what Semtex or High did yet you have Zuffa already extending an olive branch less than a week after cutting ties.

Gannicus site profile image

7/4/14 12:17 PM by Gannicus

If Americas a forgiving place then forgive Paul Daley! He made a mistake and apologized for it. Koscheck even forgave him. A guy with talent such as Daley deserves to be fighting on the biggest stage..Could you guys imagine Semtex vs Ruthless..my god

ender852 site profile image

7/3/14 8:59 PM by ender852

The tones the coins make over the line queued the phone company if you paid or not. In that movie hackers from the 90s they record putting $5 in quarters in a payphone and then play the tape back into other phones. Also 18 year old Jolie shows her tits, all around solid movie.

yellow wrkalogic site profile image

7/3/14 8:45 PM by yellow wrkalogic

That's exactly what this is. The idiots who keep arguing on Chael's behalf and ignoring what Dana really means is beyond stupidity.Sonnen gets a pass because he makes them money. That's the real world, sadly. I just hate how instead of flat out saying that's what this is, all of you are trying to spin it around with different excuses.Fucking annoying how ignorant/in denial some of you are.

southpaw86 site profile image

7/3/14 8:17 PM by southpaw86

Bahaha that reminds me of the ninja turtles movie!! It may be crazy but the sport needs it to gain traction I think, as we all know it's fading and we lost good people like Stann and GSP because of things like this Imo. Start a new thread Kirik I'm curious to see if it would get traction!Hey Dana, pm me your email so I can forward my r'esum'e :)

Ronin 7 site profile image

7/3/14 10:06 AM by Ronin 7

Great interview. Her flow was good, smooth transitions between questions and she had great rapport with DFW. As for Chael...He got caught fair-and-square. Own up to it, and move on. DFW is right about forgiveness. Many of the folks we see on TV (Sports/Commentators) have been arrested for: Domestic Violence, DUI's, Drugs, and more. As long as he owns up, I think he will be welcomed back to Fox down the road. He is to good on the Mic not to be working for some network.

DaddyRich site profile image

7/3/14 8:36 AM by DaddyRich

Is Bonnar back in Dana's good graces yet?

Media Monster site profile image

7/3/14 8:33 AM by Media Monster

+1 for legitimacy

Whambo site profile image

7/3/14 8:28 AM by Whambo

He used that very platform as a color commentator to spread further lies about his PED abuse. To suggest that there should be no repurcussions for this because they'd be kicking him I find very odd.Fox hires fighters for a reason, and now his reputation as a fighter has been tarnished, let's not pretend the 2 jobs aren't related.