Struve: Fainting spell unrelated to heart condition

UFC heavyweight Stefan Struve's long march back to the Octagon was delayed Saturday night, when during warm ups for his fight with Matt Mitrione, he felt like his heart was beating too quickly, and he nearly passed out. The fight was canceled as a precaution, as Struve had been out for 16 months after recovering from a broken jaw and then treatment for an enlarged heart and leaking aortic valve.

Now Struve has taken to his social network to detail that the episode appears to be psychological in nature, rather than directly related to his heart issue.

Stefan Struve @StefanStruve
•Just want to let everybody know I'm ok, had a blackout in the locker room and we had to call the fight off, thanks for the love folks!
•Drove back to LA today and tho the traffic SUCKED I'm feeling good and phisically I'm 100% Thanks again for the love, much appreciated!
•I want to thank @ufc, @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta for their ungoing support and confidence in me. They even paid me show + win bonus
•Big thnx 2 @Fearthefighter for paying me after what happened this weekend and that way helping me on my road back to the cage! Thnx so much!
•My team and I are already figuring out what happened and we have the pieces but just need to do the puzzle. Confident we will sort this out
•What happened had nothing to do with my heart. But everything that has happened left mental scare that I really underestimated.
•Among with another important thing that we are looking at this caused what happened last weekend.

@GodofPurp
When are we going to see you back big homie?”

Stefan Struve @StefanStruve
Need to figure some stuff out to make sure it won't happen again..

Mike kyle DJ MAK @Mak4afight
@StefanStruve @lorenzofertitta I would kick your ass

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

tags: UFC 175   Stefan Struve (detail)

MMA Playwright site profile image

7/8/14 11:07 PM by MMA Playwright

"I would kick your ass."

ChaosOverkill site profile image

7/8/14 11:03 PM by ChaosOverkill

Why include the Mike Kyle post?

MMA Playwright site profile image

7/8/14 10:57 PM by MMA Playwright

I hope he's ok.

CaptChaos site profile image

7/8/14 10:56 PM by CaptChaos

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have him fight at a regional show 1st just to make sure everything is ok mentally and physically. It could be too risky for the UFC to try this out again with him before they know for sure...

Mertvaya Ruka site profile image

7/8/14 3:06 PM by Mertvaya Ruka

I can totally relate to that, when you had a major ailment like he had, it affects you mentally, I have no clue how you can go around that thought. Especially in such a pressure situation like a fight, your brain will always want to preserve itself, more so if you know you have a heart condition.You feel the anxiety creep in and your chest tighten and most of the time you have no clue what's going on, it can be very scary especially if Struve thought his heart was playing up.

Mike_in_CA site profile image

7/8/14 3:05 PM by Mike_in_CA

Good for UFC to pay Struve and Matt both show and win.

Muscles82 site profile image

7/8/14 2:21 PM by Muscles82

I like and respect Stefan as a human being and was genuinely happy for his recovery.  However, in a sport where the mental game is so important I don't think I'd let him fight in my organization again and I don't know if an athletic commission should license him.

JerodR site profile image

7/8/14 12:52 PM by JerodR

Anxiety from everything that has happened. Hopefully he gets his head straightened out so he can continue his career.

VinegarStrokes site profile image

7/8/14 12:31 PM by VinegarStrokes

I hope he makes a full recovery health wise. I would love to see him fight again but if he can't for health concerns that is more improtant.

KidPittsburgh site profile image