Edgar wants Swanson, Swanson wants the belt

by Chris Palmquist |

Cub Swanson has been told his next fight is for a title. However with champion Jose Aldo on the sidelines, a number one contender fight with Frankie Edgar would be interesting.

Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight that Edgar wants his next fight to be with Cub Swanson, and Edgar moved past Swanson in the official rankings Monday.

The fight makes sense, however, you have to have two interested parties to make a fight and Cub Swanson, at least for now, is waiting for his title shot. He told Ariel Helwani: "I was told my fight would be for a belt. I don't think he has one of those.”

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Venum Amazonia 3.0 Fight Shorts

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I Got Your Back Shirt

1a1 site profile image

7/10/14 11:36 AM by 1a1

Stop with the aldo edgar fight being close... It was a competitive but clear win for aldo. I think cub and mendes should fight for an interim belt if aldo is out a while. I think frankie would beat cub but i dont think he has earned a numb 1 contender fight. Let him beat lamas or poirier or someone and stop giving out undeserved title shots.

1800champagne site profile image

7/10/14 11:25 AM by 1800champagne

I don't recall it being close at all. I thought Frankie would win, but he clearly did not.

FTUGTT_Mix6APlix site profile image

7/10/14 10:46 AM by FTUGTT_Mix6APlix

I can't think of a scenario where I would ever root for Frankie Edgar, I would love to see Cub knock his ass out.

LucasBTiger site profile image

7/10/14 10:41 AM by LucasBTiger

Alot can happen in mma. You want to tell your kids you were a champion. Even if you never defend it, that belt is forever.

The Power Double site profile image

7/10/14 10:39 AM by The Power Double

I think the two are intertwined in this instance, no? I know Aldo's injury has muddied the water, but in this situation, ll and at this point in time, I don't think Frankie deserves a shot at Cub.Why not Lamas or Poirier or TKZ? Why pair him off with the guy who's on a six-fight streak and is already in line for a title shot?Are they that desperate to get Frankie his eighth title fight in ten fights? Didn't they already tell Cub he'd earned his shot?

wiggum site profile image

7/10/14 10:31 AM by wiggum

People forget how insanely close Edgar Aldo was

kungfugrip site profile image

7/10/14 10:26 AM by kungfugrip

how is bad is aldo's injury?I missed that story

orcus site profile image

7/10/14 9:49 AM by orcus

I thought the question was whether he deserved Cub. I agree he should not get another crack at Aldo for awhile.

Nexuscrawlers site profile image

7/10/14 9:06 AM by Nexuscrawlers

This. Cub will probably end up fighting Mendes for an interim belt.

man meets fate site profile image

7/10/14 8:56 AM by man meets fate

Just kill off another contender *facepalm

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!