Mendes: Aldo can't run from me forever

Chad Mendes was supposed to get his chance for redemption versus Jose Aldo on August 2nd. Unfortunately Aldo was injured and the fight was postponed. Mendes however is hopeful the two will meet eventually:

"Jose Aldo can't run from me forever," The Team Alpha Male fighter said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "This fight's going to happen and I'm going to take the belt from him."

This isn't the first time Aldo has postponed a fight with Mendes. Aldo also postponed their first fight, which eventually ended up taking place at UFC 142.

So with Aldo pulling out of the bout just four weeks before a scheduled date at Los Angeles' Staples Center - causing a postponement of the fight and the cancellation of UFC 176 - Mendes says it's time for people to see what he calls "the real picture."

"I'm tired of it," Mendes said. "This is something he's been doing for so long. The first time he did the same thing.  I ended up taking another fight, I ended up fighting Rani Yahya in the meantime because I didn't want to be on the shelf for a year. I beat Yahya, I got the title shot. As far as injuries and backing out of fights, it's irritating and it pissed me off. It's time everyone sees the real picture here."

tags: Chad Mendes (detail)  Jose Aldo (detail)

The Power Double site profile image

7/11/14 12:02 AM by The Power Double

Didn't Aldo come close to seriously injuring his neck?

da Vinci 81 site profile image

7/10/14 11:05 PM by da Vinci 81

laying and praying site profile image

7/10/14 10:59 PM by laying and praying

You were being condescending towards Mendes. However, I'll hold off on the personal attacks.A win over George Roop is the same as a win over Guida?Plus, in comparing the two : Mendes lasted longer against Aldo, and holds a win over Swanson.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

7/10/14 10:49 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

I'll ignore the personal attacks and simply say that the guys he's fought on his current win streak are a level above who Mendes had to fight since he fought Aldo. Mendes knocked out a bunch of guys that were totally overmatched and had no business fighting him.I don't see how that gives me a creepy infatuation with a guy I don't even root for. I have no idea if Cub would still lose to Mendes, but in a 5 round fight I think it would he very competitive

HandyDarsh site profile image

7/10/14 10:47 PM by HandyDarsh

Don't forget also pulled out if UFC in Calgary vs Koch

Gannicus site profile image

7/10/14 10:38 PM by Gannicus

Ummmmm I don't get it.... Was there first fight a close split decision or something? I clearly remember Mendez eating a swift knee to the face and the fight being over.

da Vinci 81 site profile image

7/10/14 9:56 PM by da Vinci 81

I didn't realize Aldo pulled out of their first fight too. And that fight ended up taking place in Brazil. And now Aldo pulls out again...when there's another card in Brazil for October, right around the time he's supposed to be ready to fight again. Probably nothing but it seems a little weird.

TwentyNineTwentyEight site profile image

7/10/14 9:41 PM by TwentyNineTwentyEight

Hired Gun site profile image

7/10/14 9:27 PM by Hired Gun

Is it smart to piss off someone who knocked you the fuck out?

phillyslice99 site profile image

7/10/14 9:21 PM by phillyslice99

Not alot if people are defending mendes here , I'm getting pretty sick of fighters saying other fighter are ducking