Longo: Belfort living in a different universe

Ray Longo is the striking coach responsible for probably two of the most shocking knockout upsets in MMA history: Matt Serra of Georges St-Pierre and Chris Weidman of Anderson Silva. Longo recently spoke to MMAJunkie about the potential of Chris Weidman and his thoughts on potential future match ups for the champion:

“As long as he keeps his inner circle tight, and he’s got great people with great values, I think this kid is not going anywhere,” said Longo.

Weidman now appears set for a fight with Vitor Belfort, who was scheduled for a title shot at UFC 173 before the Nevada State Athletic Commission threw him into limbo by banning testosterone-replacement therapy.

Belfort repeatedly called to face the winner of Weidman vs. Machida and said he has weaned himself off TRT. But Longo thinks there are other contenders in the fray.

Asked about what’s next for the champ, the coach mentioned two names – former Strikeforce champs Ronaldo Souza and Luke Rockhold – and then paused when asked about Belfort.

“I think the three top guys would probably be Souza, Rockhold and … if that guy can ever get his act together, which I think I think this guy’s living in a different universe at this point,” said Longo.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Body Spray 2oz

Super Body Care Body Spray 2oz

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

tags: Ray Long   Chris Weidman (detail)

Fedorthedrummer site profile image

7/15/14 1:50 AM by Fedorthedrummer

Hey, calm down over their!

Ministry of Truth site profile image

7/15/14 12:52 AM by Ministry of Truth

"Longo/weidman are terrified of Belfort."Yeah, I'm sure they are terrified. LOL.Weidman just recently beat one of the most feared champions and strikers in the sport 2x in a row. Of course, that's not to mention the fact that the guy Weidman beat KOd Vitor in the first round of their fight just a few years ago.If anything, they are just trying to push the fight back long enough to be certain that Vitor is clean and off of PEDs. Anyone in their right mind can't blame them, either.

Jimmy Recard site profile image

7/15/14 12:42 AM by Jimmy Recard

Yeah I didn't read the article properly and buggered up... Oh well I was wrong, isn't the first time and won't be the last but good pick up mate

I Wild Each It site profile image

7/14/14 10:27 PM by I Wild Each It

Vitor needs to get off of steroids and get licensed before we fight. When he does, I'm down = Wiedman is scared.Got it.

Jimmy Recard site profile image

7/14/14 9:58 PM by Jimmy Recard

I'll just shut up now...sorry bout that

Jimmy Recard site profile image

7/14/14 9:56 PM by Jimmy Recard

"I do want to fight Vitor Belfort. He’s the guy who’s been floating around the top for awhile now. He’s another legend. I’ve kind of grew to enjoy fighting legends that I got into the sport watching and admiring. Obviously he has his drug test issue going on. I hope somehow he can figure it out and we can get him licensed and, I really don’t know how that’s working. But that’s the guy I do want to fight."Cos Weidman is not ducking Vitor at all is he?? This statement came from Weidman himself

SQUEEZIE site profile image

7/12/14 10:54 PM by SQUEEZIE

fuck you guys, longos the fucking man!

Jimmy Recard site profile image

7/11/14 11:29 PM by Jimmy Recard

Jimmy Retard... Wow fuckin original bro that was a good one I never would've thought of that, keep up the good work you special boy you

Josh_underground site profile image

7/11/14 12:31 PM by Josh_underground

Even as a huge Vitor fan, I wish Chris the best, he really proved he's the best middleweight right now when he beat machida. Still, Longo annoys the hell out of me with every interview he gives. Just stop talking.

wrongaboutVitali site profile image

7/11/14 12:25 PM by wrongaboutVitali

True, taking Silva down is no great feat. But I mentioned the power of Weidman on the ground, not his ability to take it to the ground. Silva clearly felt something he didn't like (including the big right hand that rocked him). I can't recall Silva ever calling to an opponent across the cage between rounds: "Stand up! Let's keep it standing!"