White: Carano deal near, will fight Rousey

Despite the event being tomorrow, at the pre-fight media scrum held today after the weigh ins for Ultimate Fight Night 46 the media couldn't avoid asking Dana White about his progress on signing Gina Carano. Last week White said he would be signing her shortly, and today stuck to, but adding that he expects Carano to fight UFC champion Ronda Rousey in December:

Today during a media scrum in Dublin, White said Carano, who has been inactive since 2009, “should be signed by next week” and added the former Strikeforce contender and movie star would get a title shot against Rousey in December.

White made special reference that the fight is not likely to take place at the promotion’s end-of-year event, UFC 182, which this time around takes place Jan. 3 in Las Vegas.

“Ronda’s been very good to us, and if that’s the fight she wants, then I’m going to try to get it done,” White said.

Next week, White said he will head to Los Angeles to negotiate a deal to bring the starlet into the UFC. He said getting the deal done was simply a matter of getting in the same room with Carano’s lawyer.

“I can’t wait to meet this guy face to face,” White said. “It’s going to be a typical Monday. Sh—y day.”

Punishment Athletics Girls Kick Ass Shirt

Punishment Athletics Girls Kick Ass Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

OCJudoTrngCtr site profile image

7/26/14 2:27 AM by OCJudoTrngCtr

"The question I pose to you: she may not do worse but will she do any better?" That I do not know. Do I think she has what it takes to beat Ronda? Nope. But then again, no woman on the planet has what it takes to beat Ronda.

Heikki Mustola site profile image

7/25/14 8:51 PM by Heikki Mustola

I'd love to see Carano in UFC and will be very happy if she makes the deal but really wouldn't want to see her face Rousey next. She might lose motivation if she loses and maybe wont fight more than once. I hope it will be multi-fight deal.

kronnchi site profile image

7/25/14 8:46 PM by kronnchi

What is Gina thinking to accept this fight, must be getting paid

BigEyedFish site profile image

7/25/14 7:37 PM by BigEyedFish

I just dont get the decision to bring gina in after 5 years and feed her to ronda.  I mean, I know...money, but the UFC could still see the payoff of this fight after gina gets a couple tune ups and can adapt to what is happening in MMA.  It would only serve to make a better fight too....I dont unastan

Gator Choke site profile image

7/25/14 7:20 PM by Gator Choke

The question I pose to you: she may not do worse but will she do any better? I understand the UFC's perspective on a PPV buy standpoint. Obviously, both Gina and Ronda are names who people are going to tune in to watch. Putting Gina in a warm up fight is very risky for obvious reasons; if she loses, this big money fight goes down the toilet. However, on a fight fan standpoint, you have Cat, Nunes and even Bethe Corriea who you could try to pass as a viable legit challenge; each of whom I think are more meritable than Carano; who is going on 5 years (Aug. 13) since she last fought. The fight fan in me would bookCarano-Tate or Carano-Davis; with Cat getting the next title shot and Nunes vs. Holly Holm. That's just me though, and that's taking the ppv buy avenue out of the picture. There's a reason the UFC runs a successful model, and I'm just on here talking about this.

IGOTBELCHED site profile image

7/22/14 1:45 PM by IGOTBELCHED

No that was Cole Konrad.

OCJudoTrngCtr site profile image

7/21/14 11:51 PM by OCJudoTrngCtr

"Cat Zingano fights in 1 month, lets not act like Rousey must have a fight this very second and one month is an eternity, especially with now active she has been. Cat getting leapfrogged (if she beats Nunes) by someone hasn't won a fight in SIX YEARS is absolutely ridiculous no matter how you spin it." That is a good point. But the fact is she is just getting back in the ring after a long layoff due to injuries and personal issues. Ronda wants to fight before the end of the year, and it probably wouldn't be good for Zingano to fight her so soon coming back (assuming she wins in August). Zingano getting the winner of Rousey-Carano would be the fair solution if Rousey-Carano is signed for the end of the year. As for people who say its a mismatch, maybe so.  But I don't think Gina would do worse than the following top rated fighters, some who people on the UG claimed Dana was protecting Ronda from Alexis Davis                                                    TKO     16 seconds Sara McMann                                   TKO   66 seconds Sarah Kaufman                                 Sub    51 seconds

Kelvin Gastelum fan site profile image

7/21/14 11:17 PM by Kelvin Gastelum fan

AgedCaviar site profile image

7/21/14 11:06 PM by AgedCaviar

Well thought-out logical post.

CaptChaos site profile image