Bocek 'not interested in competing against fighters on PEDs'

by Chris Palmquist |

Yesterday Canadian lightweight announced his retirement from professional MMA, despite winning his last fight in the UFC and being only thirty two years of age.

In his initial announcement Bocek didn't cite any reason for his retirement but in a statement to UFC Tonight, Bocek cited PED use in the sport:

"I've gone through a lot of injuries. The sport is highly evolved and I'm not interested in competing against fighters on PEDs any longer."

Bocek likely came to the decision himself, but also followed in the foot steps of fellow Canadian and training partner, former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

MMAWarehouse.com 13 inch Vinyl Transfer

MMAWarehouse.com 13 inch Vinyl Transfer

tags: Mark Bocek (detail)  UFC Tonight

The Tiger Man site profile image

8/8/14 7:32 PM by The Tiger Man

Now that there's blood testing let's see which Killers start to lose a lot and we'll know.

Clarence Parents site profile image

8/8/14 6:32 PM by Clarence Parents

That's cool man. For absolutely no good, completely unfounded reason, I just feel like Michael Bisping's blood is actually ranch dressing.

guardbr8kr site profile image

8/8/14 5:19 PM by guardbr8kr

Mark is a Canadian pioneer and he has the respect of Canada. I think he's saying "others" don't deserve that recognition" and being Canadian, I don't blame him one bit. Thanks from all us in Canadian Mark, we truly believe what you've taught us that "Hard Work" is the truth.

MTH site profile image

8/8/14 4:39 PM by MTH

I don't think Bocek is necessarily accusing anybody in particular. I think he's speaking in terms of a "where do I go from here" kind of reasoning, coupled with the notion that the discretionary nature of UFC matchmaking and title shots end up favoring spectacular feats of PED improved athleticism over his workmanlike (but natural) style.  Put another way, any path that gets him to the top of the division will (in his opinion) need to go through many PED users, and, on top of that, those PED users (in his opinion) generally have more spectacular performances and thus garner more screen time and favorable matchups anyway.  He sees himself as a Jon Fitch surrounded by TRT Vitors, and just doesn't think that bodes well for future bouts or his ability to separate himself as being worthy of the marketing to raise his profile.  And to the extent he is referring to specific opponents, I don't think they have to just be his losses.  It would be frustrating to me to believe that I added way more mileage to my body as a fighter than I needed to because I took a hellacious beating (but ultimately won) a bout with someone who never would've had the strength and stamina to hang with me at all absent PEDs.

Libero21 site profile image

8/8/14 4:33 PM by Libero21

I can't see Bendo on gear. He seems like the type who fights fair to see how good he really is

TheDarkPassenger site profile image

8/8/14 4:31 PM by TheDarkPassenger

The guy wasn't always the most exciting fighter but he was most definitely talented.

Libero21 site profile image

8/8/14 4:22 PM by Libero21

Even if true, that was 4 years ago. Would he really retire because he lost a decision 4 years ago? Miller has always fought the same way to me, aggressive stand up and slick JJ. It's not like he was knocking out everybody, he only has 1 knockout his entire career

AlbertEinstein site profile image

8/8/14 4:19 PM by AlbertEinstein

Bendo is most likely a user. All the Jesus talk is him trying to get redemption to clear his conscience. To fans though it makes him more trustworthy. What a crock of shit.

sage77 site profile image

8/8/14 4:17 PM by sage77

I had the same feeling. He was a juggernaut in that fight. High pace, explosive, nonstop ... Seemed another level compared to his previous matches.

Weidmans Pet Dragon site profile image

8/8/14 3:50 PM by Weidmans Pet Dragon

Maybe miller was on peds , he was goin through a tear until recently with all these talks about testing and fighters like gsp quitting.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!