Ben Saunders: After tonight, I could die tomorrow with no regrets

UFC welterweight Ben Saunders beat Chris Heatherly in the first round at UFC Fight Night 48 on Saturday night, becoming the first fighter in UFC history to win by Omaplata. He was also awarded a $50,000 performance of the night bonus. Then he came on the UG, and recounted...

Greatest Night of my Life...

From: Ben Saunders's Stats">Ben Saunders
Member Since: 5/5/04
Posts: 2510

to date! I could literally die tomorrow and have no regrets and feel absolutely fulfilled with what I have accomplished in my life time.

It hasn't sunk in yet... but I am just feeling a wave of relief knowing I fulfilled my promise to myself and in doing so apparently was able to make UFC History in the process. This is the greatest end to the documentary we have been filming. I can't imagine any better way to show how never giving up, never quitting, and doing everything it takes to fulfill your goals to reach your dreams is possible with hard work, dedication, and perseverance. It seems like this story is straight fiction. What a crazy ride this has all been!

Just know how much I appreciate you guys! Thank you so much for all the support throughout the years. Through all the highs and lows. You guys have always been there. I am forever grateful! This community is one of the greatest things MMA has ever created!

Long Live The D!!!!

I mean The UG! Lol

We'll F---in Live As 2 Kings! :D

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

FreightTrain site profile image

9/1/14 12:53 PM by FreightTrain

Great job.

D241 site profile image

9/1/14 12:36 PM by D241

Man, I'm still stoked for Ben!! That last UFC, before it started I'm like..."ok, last week one of the first undercard fights was fucking Epic, is there anyone on the undercard I need to look out for".   And actually I had already heard about Joe Soto but by the time the card started he had already been moved to main event status.   Congrats again Ben!!!   Meatgrinder-thanks for the reply/breakdown!

Meatgrinder site profile image

8/29/14 11:17 PM by Meatgrinder

on one of these related threads is the Robin Black breakdown that shows the vid with explanation. I personally avoid the far ankle... ever since I saw Lindland vs Jacare... where the lindland was getting oma plata'd, then he reached down between his own legs with his free arm  and grabbed the jacare's arm. Lindland did a forward roll and nearly worked into an oma plata! I've used this frequently myself. It is pretty easy to do and very effective.

rbl site profile image

8/29/14 8:57 PM by rbl

I can't remember the exact setup Ben used but I know Eddie Bravo likes to hook the far ankle instead of sitting straight up to the waist.

EddiePain420 site profile image

8/29/14 8:26 PM by EddiePain420

killa be is so hot right now, i totally want to feel him inside me....no homo

Meatgrinder site profile image

8/29/14 7:55 PM by Meatgrinder

Ben - That's interesting that they were shouting neck crank.... I think it was earlier in this thread or maybe the Robin Black breakdown thread where I mentioned that guys should also be looking at Clark Gracie for the oma plata and that neck crank grip is exactly what he does too... I think you could've reached around the front of his head with your other arm first though - no?   D241 - It's not really meant to be a reversal. It's meant to be a sub. To prevent the roll there's a few different methods. Holding the hip is a standard way of doing it and this method also prevents the opponent from jumping over you to escape and usually end on top. In the gi you can grab their pants and shrimp away to flatten them out prior to grabbing hip, but can't really do that as well without the gi. You can still shrimp diagonally forward and away from them.

hOMAsexualforShields (tm) site profile image

8/29/14 7:00 PM by hOMAsexualforShields (tm)

TTT

justin@gosscpa.com site profile image

8/25/14 9:26 PM by justin@gosscpa.com

Ben's fights are always great! His clinch game is on another level and he landed the first omoplata in UFC history!Congrats Ben!

TwentyNineTwentyEight site profile image

8/25/14 8:48 PM by TwentyNineTwentyEight

Congrats Ben! You're a part of MMA/UFC History! Not too many can say that. All I can say is that I'm happy it was a UG'er! Best of Luck in the future.

D241 site profile image

8/25/14 7:56 PM by D241

Ben if you already answered this in more detail, you don't have to answer again or maybe just link me your original reply but....   i do not understand why you were able to prevent your opponent from rolling. To my understanding the counter to the oma-plata, or the purpose of it, is to use it as a reversal, rarely is it used as a submission.   I've watched more than my fair share of mma for roughly 20 years, but although I study, I don't practice which there's an obvious difference between the two. Could you explain the positioning involved that you needed to set up to prevent him from rolling?

MMA clothing and gear