'Reem: Media twists things, your time will come

by Kirik Jenness |

Earlier this month UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was injured while working takedowns with Alistair Overeem. Their coach Greg Jackson described the accident as "just one of those things," and not malicious on Overeem's part. Further, Jon Hamm, a witness to the accident and top heavyweight amateur boxer starting out in MMA, witnessed what happened, and said there was no bad intent on 'Reem's part.

Team member Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone pointedly made the same point - Overeem is a good team member, and not irresponsible in his sparring.

Russian heavyweight and team member Ruslan Magomedov offered an explanation - Overeem is just trying to show he is at the top of the heap at Jackson's.

"Overeem has just come to the gym. I think, he just tries to show how tough he is, that he can beat everyone," said Magmov to FightNights.ru, as translated by touch. "Maybe that's why he goes hard. But I don't feel he does it on purpose. He didn't want to injure Arlovski since he knew Andrei has Bigfoot rematch lined up. He just decided to show that he's one of the best HW's in the world, that's all! And Arlovski could actually become his next opponent. If Andrei goes past Bigfoot, he can easily be matched up against Overeem, in my opinion."

The issue surfaced again when teammate Andrei Arlovski was quoted as saying there is a high rate of injury among Overeem's sparring partners.

'Reem to Instragram with a defense.

"Sometimes amazing how media twist and turns things," wrote Overeem. "For ratings unfortunately I suppose. But rest assured, me and AA go hard inside the gym! To better each other. And after were all good and drink together. Non alcoholic of-course cos both our fights are coming up! And for the people attempting to throw gas on the fire... Don't worry - I'm a firm believer in karma - your time will come :-)

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Alistair Overeem (detail)

jwistead site profile image

8/25/14 1:38 PM by jwistead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2N4L3zHC4hah hah, i keed, i keed

AdmiralCackbar site profile image

8/25/14 1:34 PM by AdmiralCackbar

I met Reem and he was a douche, and so was Kharitonov. Werdum was fucking awesome and didn't care that my drunken brother-in -law asked for a picture about twenty times.

newtotheinterweb site profile image

8/25/14 1:25 PM by newtotheinterweb

I've heard stories from guys who trained at GG from time to time when Reem was in pride who said he was a prick then too.

NiteProwleR site profile image

8/25/14 1:02 PM by NiteProwleR

Teh Reem vs Arvloski. Battle of the chins.

Steepslider site profile image

8/25/14 12:48 PM by Steepslider

How many will be hurt by Reem before Jackson says 'fuck off'? in a super nice Jackson way of course. I have to say Jackson is a smart dude, and I'm hoping he finds a way to get rid of Reem'o and protect his fighters... I'm wondering if years of roiding rots the brain or if Reem was always a cunt.

YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD site profile image

8/25/14 12:43 PM by YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD

I talked to Tim Sylvia on Waikiki beach very briefly and he was cool to me. Jens and Robbie were there too, but they had walked down onto the beach and Tim was at the beach shower.

Atlee site profile image

8/25/14 12:42 PM by Atlee

Reem wants to prove his toughness. Not by winning fights in the octagon, thats to easy. But by going to hard in the gym & costing us fights. Seems legit, or sign of brain damage kicking in.

WuDaddy site profile image

8/25/14 12:35 PM by WuDaddy

I met Sylvia and Hughes while they were the current UFC champs and timmay and Hughes were both dicks. Couture was all class though.

Topsyjt site profile image

8/25/14 12:04 PM by Topsyjt

It's a shame to hear about these stories. We all like to believe they are great upstanding honourable ppl, end of the day they are ppl, like everybody else they can be likeable and dicks. Least you have 2 experiences to draw on and base your decision on. At the UK UFC fan expo I wanted to meet Miguel Cotto, line was biggest ever though, like stupidly long. Met Randy though..... Think it was a long tiring day for him lol. Thank you kindly for the story sir. Appreciate you sharing.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

8/25/14 11:51 AM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

I have a feeling if any of these fighters went over to train at a kickboxing gym in Holland they would say everyone goes too hard. It's how Overeem has trained his whole life. It's how they all train. Gilbert Yvel had trouble keeping training partners in Vegas too. He kept hurting them and they didn't want to come back. It's just they way he'd trained his whole life though.

MMA clothing and gear