Rousey: Grapple me? Pay me like the UFC does!

by Kirik Jenness |

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently sat down with Anton Tabuena for a wide-ranging interview. This is lucky, as UG Blog had not done a piece on "Rowdy" in many long hours, and the site members were starting to complain bitterly.

Back in June Rousey made a bold statement statement about women grapplers.

"I thought, and still think, that I could beat any girl in the world, any weight division, gi or no-gi, black belt and in any ruleset they want, in just pure Jiu Jitsu," she said.

A number of notable female BJJ competitors took exception to the remarks. Now Rousey takes exception to their taking exception.

Anton Tabuena: A few months ago, you said you 'can beat any BJJ girl in the world' while trying to defend Judo as a sport, but a lot of BJJ Champions seemed to have taken offense to it. Have you seen their responses?

Ronda Rousey: No, I haven't seen their responses, and I'm not going to look for it. If people want to pay me as much as what I get paid in the UFC to go roll with them, I'd go do that too! But I've got movies, I've got fights, and I just don't have the time to put in a grappling training camp. They're only upset because they think they can beat me, so why shouldn't I be just as upset at their opinion thinking they could beat me? Why are they so much more entitled to their opinion than mine?

AB: Gina Carano, what do you think of that match up?

RR: I think Gina is the worst style match up for me actually. One of the reasons why I've been so excited to fight her, was because she has that feeling of distance, and that feeling of timing, and mobility to put those touches in her punches where she has that one punch knockout power.

There's a lot of other girls that they're strong, but they don't have that feeling. So they overwhelm people and they only get TKO's. There's none of that one punch knockout power, and that's the kind of thing that you don't lose. It's that kind of thing that stays with you even if you take time off. I think styles do make fights, and style wise, Gina is the absolute worst match up for me. That's why I've been wanting to fight her for a while, because she could be one of my biggest challenges.

Read entire interview...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

tags: UFC   Ronda Rousey (detail)

Mark Hunter site profile image

8/27/14 2:26 PM by Mark Hunter

It's already been said in this thread, but the truth is simple . . . She talks shit about being able to beat any BJJ girl, but then has an excuse not to compete when she gets called out. And it's not just Gabi Garcia that called her out. Bia Mesquita is probably lighter than Ronda, and I believe would pull guard, sweep Ronda, and finish the the first few minutes. Michelle Nicolini, too, IMO. As far as the Gina Carrano match, no one who is even remotely familiar with MMA thinks that Carrano would make it out of the first round. The very fact that Ronda is spending so much time talking about what a tough match it would be is to (1) gather hype for the fight and (2) convince Carrano to sign the contract. Does anyone think that Ronda thinks Carrano would be a tougher opponent than Cyborg? MARK MY WORDS: If Rousey/Carrano happens, Rousey will win easily and then "retire" because she (1) doesn't have anything else to prove and (2) wants to focus on her acting career. It's pretty transparent.

BRZ site profile image

8/27/14 2:17 PM by BRZ

Truth is good or bad no one can stop talking about Ronda.

Koga site profile image

8/27/14 2:11 PM by Koga

It is clear that Ronda is the most interesting person in mma and its easy to see why: undefeated champion who has only ever faced two opponents who were not top 10 ranked; every win by submission or KO and all but one in R1; two time Olympian (once as the youngest competitor, the other as the first American woman to medal); silver medalist in World Championships; overcame adversity and hardship as a child; Maxim cover girl; Hollywood actress; outspoken and confident, etc.As the most interesting person in MMA and the #1 draw in the UFC, of course Ronda has the most press coverage and is the most discussed person on this forum. Even her hipster contrarian detractors like Handy, Pitbull, Mofo and NewOld post on every Ronda-related thread to trot out the same old lines how Cyborg is not to blame for not being in the UFC; how she is ducking someone like McMann and Davies before Ronda beats them; how she "almost lost" to fighters like Carmouche whom she beat in R1; how every fight is her last as she will quit MMA to make movies; and, of course, that there is too much discussion of her on the forum. Thanks for keeping these threads going guys, I'm sure Ronda will continue to be the subject of many threads and UG Blog features to come.

HandyDarsh site profile image

8/27/14 1:31 PM by HandyDarsh

Agreed, I've tried making threads in the past but no success

Pitbull3744 site profile image

8/27/14 1:23 PM by Pitbull3744

^Then we should make sure we dont feed the bear.  I try to start interesting FIGHT threads but they dont get as many hits for some weird reason.  We need more fight talk matchup etc.

HandyDarsh site profile image

8/27/14 1:19 PM by HandyDarsh

I feel like the 80% of the ug blog is Ronda material so by default people enter the threads and half the time the conversation isn't even about Ronda or what she said this time.The people will create conversation if all they have to work with is Ronda threads by default

Pitbull3744 site profile image

8/27/14 12:39 PM by Pitbull3744

They will do it anyway because we are fucking MARKS and let them get hits from this crap.  I dont know why we give Ronda and her minions attention like this whether its to talk shit or not.

I AM A MOFO site profile image

8/27/14 12:38 PM by I AM A MOFO

I'm starting to think your s/n isn't spelled that way on purpose...http://www.cagepotato.com/ronda-rousey-has-had-a-tough-road-to-the-top/"Of any fighter, it’s fitting that Rousey knows the value of making her voice be heard — she couldn’t put together coherent sentences until the age of six.Rousey was born with her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck; her body was blue and she wasn’t breathing. She was revived in the delivery room, but when her communicative skills quickly fell behind the norm, the doctors thought she’d suffered brain damage or that she might be deaf.When she began to talk, Rousey’s words were jumbled and she was sent to speech therapy classes. Frustration was a daily occurrence, as nobody could understand her."It was originally reported by SI but I thought that link was ironically fitting....It's not opinion or speculation people, and it's not up for debate. She's mentally stunted and that's a confirmed, admitted and well documented FACT. She's not mentally where she should be for her age, never has been and never will be.Yet you guys hear someone well known to have such drawbacks talking and acting juvenile, silly and immature all the time and go "she's a genius troll"? You know, the one you all love for being so "real"?Way to put two and two together geniuses.

Pitbull3744 site profile image

8/27/14 12:35 PM by Pitbull3744

Typical UGER there and what is really funny is how he said it with such conviction that he thought it was a fact lol.  Only a moron would speak the way he did and actually believe it.  Good on your MOFO for calling him out.

HandyDarsh site profile image

8/27/14 12:33 PM by HandyDarsh

Now ugblog can justify making the exact same thread a couple days from now

MMA clothing and gear