Weidman: I can KO or submit Belfort

Chris Weidman's next challenge for his UFC middleweight championships is the always dangerous Vitor Belfort, who has been on a knockout tear through the middleweight division. Weidman isn't worried though and believes he has the ability to submit or knockout Belfort:

Sherdog.com: Can you discuss Belfort’s hand speed against your grappling, wrestling and jiu-jitsu, as well as your striking abilities -- the latter of which were evident against Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva -- and how that will mesh in the fight?
Weidman: I think that I’m a versatile individual, and I pretty much feel like I can do anything that I want to do in there. I can stand and bang and knock him out, or I feel as if I can take him down and submit him. Nothing’s going to come easily, and I always expect some resistance, but if someone had yelled out and told me that this is what I had to do, I am getting the job done, whether they told me to submit him or knock him out. I’m going to get it done.

Sherdog.com: Is this a dangerous fight or a potential career-ender for Belfort, who, due to his age, could be more vulnerable than ever?

Weidman: I’m not saying that I’m going to end his career. I don’t like to sort of dictate people’s lives. All that I know is that I’ve got to go out there on Dec. 6, and I’ve got to beat him. Whatever happens with him after that is up to him; but again, people have asked me that, like they did with my first fight with Anderson: ‘Do I want to retire him?’ Same thing with Machida. But my goal is not to do that at all. I don’t want to hurt people’s livelihoods. If they love what they’re doing, I want them to keep doing that.

read entire interview...

RVCA Belfort Flag Shirt

RVCA Belfort Flag Shirt

RVCA Vitor Belfort UFC Fight Night Cornerman Shirt

RVCA Vitor Belfort UFC Fight Night Cornerman Shirt

Silverball site profile image

8/28/14 1:25 PM by Silverball

TNT Vitor? Maybe, it's possible. TRT Vitor? Anything is possible, but less likely.

Wasa-B site profile image

8/28/14 12:49 PM by Wasa-B

I was rooting for Machida all the way but funny how Machida, the clear #1 contender who had dominated Munoz and Moussasi and thus having enough time to adjust to fighting at MW was now "emaciated" after losing to Weidman. Has anyone not gotten the respect as much as Weidman? He joined elite company in showing out how to figure out Machida's style with Jones and Shogun.

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

8/28/14 11:31 AM by Bisping decisioned my SN

The same way fought Anderson when he knocked him out?

Aaron Becker site profile image

8/28/14 11:31 AM by Aaron Becker

maybe I should say relatively easy, I think Machida was a much harder challenge for Weidman than Belfort will be, TRT or not

Vikingknee site profile image

8/28/14 9:01 AM by Vikingknee

Lol ah machida having him finished. Weidman was tired and coasted. He took machidas best stuff and then asked him for more because he didn't feel like doing all the work anymore. He was tired lol.

jiujitsumstr site profile image

8/28/14 7:59 AM by jiujitsumstr

Yes you can do it on a fluke, if he is clowning around putting his chin out there on purpose. Something he could get a way with a few years ago, but not when you get older.

VinegarStrokes site profile image

8/27/14 9:22 PM by VinegarStrokes

I was one of the true believers all along, especially after the first Silva fight. You don't just KO Anderson on a fluke. That takes some SERIOUS power.

VinegarStrokes site profile image

8/27/14 8:42 PM by VinegarStrokes

He looked like the same Lyotto that destroyed Munoz and Mousasi to me.

BW92 site profile image

8/27/14 8:36 PM by BW92

Funny how "expert" opinions change, 9/10 posts the last year were about how Weidman's life was a fluke....

DIAZ_BROS, AGENT'S_ADVICE site profile image

8/27/14 8:28 PM by DIAZ_BROS, AGENT'S_ADVICE

Por que no los dos GIF.

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear