Bethe Correia: Ronda Rousey more confident, not the better fighter

by Kirik Jenness |

Undefeated Brazilian UFC women's bantamweight Bethe Correia recently spoke with Guilherme Cruz for MMAFighting about her fight with Shayna Baszler at UFC 177 on August 30, live on PPV. Correia's last fight was with Jessamyn Duke in April at UFC 172. Baszler, along with Duke, Marina Shafir, and UFC women's bantamweight champion Rondy Rousey constitute the Four Horsewomen.

The name is a good-natured homage to the Four Horsemen, a pro wrestling faction that was originally formed by Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard.

After beating Duke, Correia held four fingers up, and removed one, indicating that one Horsewomen was down, with, presumably, three to go.

With a win over Baszler, Correia plans to do something again, but has not yet decided what.

"That’s so spontaneous I can’t even tell you right now what I’m going to do, but I will do something," she said. "I like to feel the moment and let it flow. I will certainly do something after the fight, so I’ll prepare a surprise for them."

"I’m not in the UFC to be just another fighter. I will get to the title one way or the other... I want a title shot and I will get there by talking or fighting - or both. I want the title and nobody can stop me.

"I think I deserve a title shot. I will be 3-0 in the UFC with another win. That’s my dream and that’s what I’m fighting for. Let them decide. If they think I deserve it, I will honor this chance and do a great show."

The goal of course is to fight Rousey, who remains undefeated. Correia thinks she has the key.

"I think they lack of confidence," said Correia of Rousey's previous opponents. "Ronda believes in herself, and the others get in there afraid of her. I’m not. I’m not afraid of her.

"It’s not that she’s better than the opponents she’s fought, but they don’t believe in themselves. Her look shows it. They don’t feel they are better than Ronda. Ronda has this aura that she’s unbeatable. She needs to face someone that looks into her eyes and says ‘you can’t beat me.’"

So what do you think UG? Does Correia takedown another horsewoman on Saturday?

UFC Women\'s Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

UFC Women's Ronda Rousey UFC 168 Walkout Shirt

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

MCchoke site profile image

8/29/14 7:02 PM by MCchoke

WAT? no Ole?hoarsemen are Ric,Tully,Arn,Ole.

pegson123 site profile image

8/29/14 5:41 AM by pegson123

Bethe likes to basically run and avoid a fight. Given this is the big UFC cage it will play perfectly into the hands of bethe. I want baszler to win but bethe will likely win by a boring decision. I can't see shayna being able to catch her. Especially on the first round when baszler is at her best when bethe has all that room to fight.

Musashi site profile image

8/28/14 9:30 PM by Musashi

LOL @ those meatheads There are FIVE of them.

mada site profile image

8/28/14 9:12 PM by mada

Bethe couldn't beat Tate or Davis and would prob lose to McCann and carmouche. It's laughable to hear these other girls talk shit about ronda

Hiacios site profile image

8/28/14 8:50 PM by Hiacios

Her statement about Ronda is spot on, and it reminds me of the statement that Cormier made about Bones. Bethe Correia FTW!!!

Musashi site profile image

8/27/14 3:08 PM by Musashi

Half of Bethe's fights were against opponents with no wins.. some had never even fought before.

Steve4192 site profile image

8/27/14 3:06 PM by Steve4192

I don't mind the four horsewomen thing, but I did LOL at the comparison to Virgil. I would love to see Ronda switch to a Ted Dibiase shtick and have Shayna/Jessamyn/Marina act as valets and carry around the 'million dollar belt' for her.

Steve4192 site profile image

8/27/14 3:02 PM by Steve4192

I've got two major problems with Correia's statement.1. No way in hell does she deserve a title shot, even if she beats Baszler. Kedzie and Baszler had zero UFC fights at the time she fought them, and Duke is 1-2 with that only win coming over a chick who was immediately cut after that fight. 2. Ronda's opponents don't lack confidence. Tate and Carmouche came right at her. McMann was willing to engage as well, though not as aggressively as Tate/Carmouche. Even Davis tried to initiate the action before getting knocked stupid. Confidence wasn't their problem. Talent was. Ronda is just light years better than everyone else.

Al Cappucino site profile image

8/27/14 2:59 PM by Al Cappucino

C'mon now, it's a little funny.

Steve4192 site profile image

8/27/14 2:53 PM by Steve4192

Correia might have a grappling background, but she's a pilowfisted jab-and-jog decision machine in the cage. Baszler might have a bad habit of writing checks with her mouth that her ass can't cash, but she is wildly entertaining inside the cage. IMO, Shayna is second only to Ronda as the most entertaining grappler in the history of WMMA.

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear