Fight cancelled as Din Thomas in car accident on way to arena

Saturday, October 08, 2011

 Din Thomas’ return to mixed martial arts was delayed yet again Friday when he was injured in an automobile accident on the way to the seven-event fight card named in his honor — Fight Time 7: The Return of Din Thomas.

The former UFC standout, was scheduled to fight George Sheppard (12-6) in the three-round main event at War Memorial Auditorium.

Details on the accident were sparse, but Thomas’ car was totaled. Thomas’ absence was announced by Howard Davis Jr., the 1976 Olympic gold medalist and CEO of Fight Time Productions, shortly before Thomas was scheduled to fight. Thomas’ wife picked him up at Bethesda Hospital in Boynton Beach.

Thomas holds a special place in Davis’ heart. When Davis joined American Top Team almost nine years ago as a coach, Thomas was one of only nine members on the ATT squad.

“My thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife and family,” Davis said.

But Davis had a small bit of admonishment for his friend.

“He shouldn’t have been driving by himself,” Davis said, adding that when he was boxing he wouldn’t drive for days prior to the fight because of such a risk.

Ordinarily Thomas would ride to the fight with his team, but he had to run an errand Friday. The team members were at War Memorial Auditorium awaiting his arrival when they found out about the accident.

Thomas’ last scheduled fight was also canceled. He was supposed to have fought Ricardo Mayorga, the former WBA/WBC welterweight boxing champion, in May 2010, but the fight was canceled because Mayorga was under contract with boxing promoter Don King.

In a promoters nightmare, the remaining entire card of six remaining fights lasted a combined total of  under 27 minutes, barely passing the length of a single title fight going to decision.
Walter Harris (3-1) defeated Cedric James (0-3) in just 22 seconds.
John “The Musclebot” Rivera (1-1) defeated Jimmy Alexander (3-7) in 34 seconds.
Patrick “The Animal” Williams (3-1) defeated Phil Gebauer (1-1) via rear naked choke at the 4:17 mark of the second round.
Damion “The Outlaw” Williams (1-1) needed only 57 seconds to defeat Julian Flor (0-1) via choke.
Rory Bradshaw (7-8) defeated Matt McCook (8-5) after three rounds
Lucas Pimenta (3-0) defeated Doug Rossi (1-4) by TKO at the 48-second mark.

Read entire article…

Thomas was reportedly treated and has been released from Bethesda Hospital in Boynton Beach, FL.