Hector Lombard vs. Dong Hyun Kim in the works for UFC Macau in Aug
When Matt Brown beat Erick Silva in a fight of the year candidate at UFC Fight Night 40 on May 10, countless fans wanted to see him get a title shot. Without a win over a top-10 fighter, UFC president Dana White wanted to see one more win, and mused about Hector Lombard as a potential opponent.
Lombard was game, goading Brown on Twitter.
However, in an unexpected twist, according to “UFC Tonight” on FOX Sports 1, Hector Lombard vs. Dong Hyun Kim is in the works for an as yet unnamed UFC Fight Night in Macau, China, on August 23. No other bouts for the card have been named.
The potential top-10 fights for Brown are now slim:
1. Robbie Lawler • fights #5 Jake Ellenberger at UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw on 05/24
2. Rory MacDonald • fights #3 Tyron Woodley at UFC 174: Bagautinov vs. Johnson on 06/14
3. Tyron Woodley • fights MacDonald at UFC 174: Bagautinov vs. Johnson on 06/14
4. Carlos Condit • Injured
5. Jake Ellenberger • fights Robbie Lawler at UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw on 05/24
6. Matt Brown • ?
7. Hector Lombard • fights #9 Dong Hyun Kim on 08/23
8. Demian Maia • ights Alexander Yakovlev on 05/31
9. Dong Hyun Kim • fights #7 Hector Lombard on 08/23
10. Tarec Saffiedine • Injured, but plans return soon.
Thus only a single top-10 fight remains for Brown – Tarec Saffiedine. White also shot down Nate Diaz as a potential fight for Brown, but did say that he would make the fight for Nick Diaz. Given that Diaz has publicly said he wants a title shot or $500,000, the fight does not seem very likely.